Interior lights come on while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights come on while driving

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
So something I've noticed over the last year or two - occasionally my overhead lights will come on while driving. It seems to be happening under braking or hard cornering - leading me to believe that I have a bad switch somewhere. It's hard for me to believe that the Ex has that much flex in it but that's the only explanation that I can come up with. That somehow a door is flexing enough that it thinks it's open.
Before I get serious with it - has anyone been there before and figured it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happens to me too once in a while. I figure its a kink somewhere but never bugged me enough or happened enough for me to take the time to figure it out. What's pissing me off is the 60 portion of my 2nd row broke and it won't fold over. Some good write-ups on that on the Flex forums but a PITA to do.

When it does that, touch/wiggle the ignition keys. Once in a blue moon mine will do that and by moving the key, it will go out. I would guess that it would be worse if you had a lot of keys on the ring.

Happens to me too once in a while. I figure its a kink somewhere but never bugged me enough or happened enough for me to take the time to figure it out. What's pissing me off is the 60 portion of my 2nd row broke and it won't fold over. Some good write-ups on that on the Flex forums but a PITA to do.
Yeah - it's nothing to get to upset about. Appreciate you letting me know its not just me. Thanks.

When it does that, touch/wiggle the ignition keys. Once in a blue moon mine will do that and by moving the key, it will go out. I would guess that it would be worse if you had a lot of keys on the ring.
I mean no offense by this - really I don't. But your ignition key has absolutely nothing to do with this. Your interior lights come on when you open the door - not when you put the key in the ignition. Mine will go out in a moment - which is probably the time you spend moving your key.

No offense by this, but the key cylinder CAN get loose and cause this. It's been mentioned in this forum....

I mean no offense by this - really I don't. But your ignition key has absolutely nothing to do with this. Your interior lights come on when you open the door - not when you put the key in the ignition. Mine will go out in a moment - which is probably the time you spend moving your key.
No offense taken. If you turn your Explorer off without opening the door, doesn't your interior light come on? Mine does.

No offense taken. If you turn your Explorer off without opening the door, doesn't your interior light come on? Mine does.
So does mine. I DO remember where someone posted here that his lights would randomly come on while driving, and I remember that someone else suggested his key cylinder may have been worn. I also remember reading that someone else had a hatch or lift glass issue where it would move enough to cause the lights to come on briefly. Just things to look at, as well. :)

I also have this problem and the fix IS with the ignition. What I do is turn on the vehicle, then turn the key ever so slightly counter clockwise. There is a bit of play. I noticed if the ignition cylinder with the key in it is too far clockwise, the lights come on and stay on. Hopefully I explained this well enough and hopefully it helps.

I had this problem and changing the ignition cylinder cured it. Old cylinder was worn pretty bad allowing the keys to swing around and move the cylinder.

So something I've noticed over the last year or two - occasionally my overhead lights will come on while driving. It seems to be happening under braking or hard cornering - leading me to believe that I have a bad switch somewhere. It's hard for me to believe that the Ex has that much flex in it but that's the only explanation that I can come up with. That somehow a door is flexing enough that it thinks it's open.
Before I get serious with it - has anyone been there before and figured it out?
I experienced the same sometime ago. I noticed I could turn the lights back off by slightly moving the key. There seemed to be some play in the key cylinder that triggered the interior lights. It hasn't happened in quite a while so I have not done any repairs.

I never would have associated it with the ignition switch. Thanks for the feedback - maybe I'll separate out my keys before it gets worse to lighten the load.

It's NOT the ignition switch...it's the key cylinder. There's a distinct difference. ;)

After reading this thread, I decided to jingle my key cylinder to see if the lights would turn on and they did so it is a loose cylinder and not a kinked door wire as I always thought. I went to RockAuto and looked at cylinder repair/ replacement kits and saw this one which comes with 2 transponder keys and the kit to program them to your car:

I'm interested in this because I currently only have 1 transponder key. This kit would take care of the loose cylinder and provide me with 2 transponder keys. I don't even want to guess what the dealer wold charge to make me a second one. Any thoughts or experience?

After reading this thread, I decided to jingle my key cylinder to see if the lights would turn on and they did so it is a loose cylinder and not a kinked door wire as I always thought. I went to RockAuto and looked at cylinder repair/ replacement kits and saw this one which comes with 2 transponder keys and the kit to program them to your car:

I'm interested in this because I currently only have 1 transponder key. This kit would take care of the loose cylinder and provide me with 2 transponder keys. I don't even want to guess what the dealer wold charge to make me a second one. Any thoughts or experience?
My Explorer only came with one key also. I had a local lock smith stop by and he provided the blank, ground a new key and programed it for $50. It took about 10 minutes. As far as the light coming on, it only happened to me one in a blue moon so I never worried about it. If you get the Rock Auto set, just remember that you will have a different key to unlock the door unless you rekey that also.

I started this thread and I also have tried jiggling my key and I have yet to get the light to turn on. I've tried hard and haven't been able to get it to do it. I think I may have another problem.

I had this exact issue, only when I jiggled the key it would only sometimes trigger it/turn it off, replacing the ignition switch is most likely the fix, it's made out of plastic and the metal shaft that comes from the ignition cylinder tears up the notch on the switch over time, it's on the left side under the steering wheel bottom cover, the part is super cheap so, even if it isn't that, chances are yours is worn out anyway and should be replaced, they are known to eventually cause no crank conditions too. Replaced mine and it's been perfect! This is the part I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KKFNN26/?tag=serious-20

After replacing the switch it also felt alot more firm when I turned the ignition, so if yours also feels kinda loose or worn out when you turn the key, then that's a possible sign it's the ignition switch too.

There are a few videos on youtube on how to replace it, but once you pop off that bottom cover it's pretty much right there and easy to access.

My daughter's Jetta did this and it was the micro switch inside the door lock mechanism. Switch would get stuck telling the computer door was open. In her case this also kept the doors from locking.

I bought the part that Harley mentioned above and put it into my EX today. First thing I noticed was that when I insert the key into the metal cylinder, it felt more firm and secure. Turning it on, same as well. Also I've been having an issue where when I left the key in the ignition and the car was off and I opened the door, the chime that reminds you that your key is still in the ignition was no longer going off. That issue is now gone with this new replacement. I bet the lights coming on randomly will now also disappear. Very easy to do and watched one YT video on how to do it. Took me 10 minutes if that. Well worth it IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took everyone's advice today and changed out the ignition switch. As mentioned above it wasn't a difficult job but when dealing with trim pieces there is always some risk of breaking something. All is good though. Here is a pic of the old and new switch. The old switch is on the left. Looking at the pic it doesn't look like much of a difference between the two but it was obvious in person.

Ignition Switch.JPG

Back