• Register Today It's free!

interior lights don't go on!

newfordguy

Reaction score
City, State
cumming ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer
hello I have a problem with the interior lights ..they will not go on when I unlock the car or turn the dimmer knob all the way..anyone help??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the "interior and courtesy lights" fuse under the dash, it may be blown. I pulled mine specifically so my interior lights WOULDNT come on but my guess would be that or maybe bad ground or corroded/cut wires to the fuse. do you have little lights in the mirror in your sun visors? if those still come on it isnt the fuse.

Interior Lighting: DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Pray it's a bad fuse, bad connection, bad switch or broken wire. You don't want to have to buy a Smart Junction Box!

417-02-1.gif

417-02-1a.gif

417-02-2.gif

417-02-3.gif

417-02-4.gif

417-02-5.gif

417-02-6.gif

417-02-7.gif

417-02-8.gif

417-02-9.gif

417-02-10.gif

417-02-11.gif

417-02-12.gif

417-02-13.gif

417-02-14.gif

wow that's a lot of info...I checked the fuses and did not see any blown one in the ford manual that came with the car it says the fuse that controls the puddle lights is the same on for interior lights is that the case?..my puddle lights work as do the map lights..... I turned the wheel on the dashboard dimmer and heard a clicking noise but still no lights....any info would be great god bless

I turned the wheel on the dashboard dimmer and heard a clicking noise but still no lights

Clicking noise= bad relay. The smart junction box is full of relays.

ok my puddle lights,map lights and dash lights work. I get a clicking noise when I turn the dimmer wheel...how do I know what relay to replace? Thanks for your help....

Well, I am stunned! I thought the SJB was a computer module with solid state relays. After looking at images of a few Smart Junction Boxes, I see they not only have mechanical relays, but fuses as well! WTF? Is this true of Explorer SJBs? I can't really find an image of an Explorer box, though I'm still searching. Keep seeing Escape, Mariner, Mustang and Ranger boxes:

image039.jpg

How often has anybody here checked a fuse in this box? How many have had this box replaced when it might have only needed a $1.00 fuse or $5.00 relay?

Anybody have any pics of this thing?

Well, I am stunned! I thought the SJB was a computer module with solid state relays. After looking at images of a few Smart Junction Boxes, I see they not only have mechanical relays, but fuses as well! WTF? Is this true of Explorer SJBs? I can't really find an image of an Explorer box, though I'm still searching. Keep seeing Escape, Mariner, Mustang and Ranger boxes:

image039.jpg

How often has anybody here checked a fuse in this box? How many have had this box replaced when it might have only needed a $1.00 fuse or $5.00 relay?

I had mine out of my 07 EB just the other day. I should have taken some pics of it It uses regular fuses for all kinds of stuff inside the vehicle. Ford seems to have integrated the interior fuse box to the SJB.

image039.jpg

Is that a pic of yours, because the SBJ for the fourth gens are underneath the dash by the parking brake pedal.

ok my puddle lights,map lights and dash lights work. I get a clicking noise when I turn the dimmer wheel...how do I know what relay to replace? Thanks for your help....

Okay you said the lights dont work when you move the dimmer switch all the way to the right, then you hear clicking. get under the dash and put your ear by the parking brake pedal cuz thats where the SJB is and verify that the clicking noise is in fact the SJB. Try smacking the SJB with a light mallet. Smacking on relays sometimes get them unstuck. You also said the lights don't turn on when the unlock button is pressed on the RKE fob. Also try to verify the clicking noise when the vehicle is unlocked from the RKE fob. If a relay is bad, u will need a new SJB. Its a very expensive part, but fairly easy to replace. If you take it to the dealer, they will have the diagnostic tool that can communicate with the SJB. OBD2 scanners only communicate with the PCM and i think the TCM. You can take it to the dealer and just ask them to pull the codes off of the SJB and use the troubleshooting guide that Ornery provided, that is the same troubleshooting guide the dealer uses. There are a few relays on the outside of the SJB, Rear window defrost relay, Accessory delay relay, park lamp relay, run start relay, and two heated windshield relays if equipped. You can try swapping out the accessory delay relay, but i think the relay that is clicking is inside the SJB.

If a relay is bad, u will need a new SJB.

I don't get it. If it's just a flippin' relay, that's a $5.00 part. The SJB images I've located all show simple, swappable relays. You could even pull one open and clean the contacts, if you're as cheap as I am. That is, if it truly has electromechanical relays after all. Without seeing a picture of one, I can't be sure...

the photo is not mine but I will look for it and yet back to you ...

"Smart Junction Box"

See, FOMOCO does have a sense of humor.

If a relay is bad, u will need a new SJB.

I don't get it. If it's just a flippin' relay, that's a $5.00 part. The SJB images I've located all show simple, swappable relays. You could even pull one open and clean the contacts, if you're as cheap as I am. That is, if it truly has electromechanical relays after all. Without seeing a picture of one, I can't be sure...

There are 6 external relays Ornery. And I'm pretty sure the rear window defrost relay, parking lamp relay, heated windshield relays, and the run/start relays have nothing to do with interior lights. Maybe the accessory delay relay, but I doubt it. that is why I suspect it is an internal relay.

the photo is not mine but I will look for it and yet back to you ...
Here something you can try. Remove each one of the relays on the outside of the SJB and try to turn the lights on. Try pulling the accessory delay relay first because that is the only slightly possible faulty relay. If you pull a relay and you dont hear clicking, you may have found the bad relay. But if that doesnt work, I would still recommend asking the dealer to pull codes off of it, and use the troubleshooting guide above to find the issue. No point paying someone else to do it.

Also wouldn't hurt to check the SJB fuses in the battery junction box (BJB)

is the sjb the box with the fuses under the dash? Or someplace else?

Sjb: Removal and installation

It's under the dash on the left side. Right behind the light switch. I think you have to be a contortionist to get at it, but you should have enough incentive at this point. Hmmm, maybe there's instructions available...

SJB_419-10-1.gif

SJB_419-10-2.gif

SJB_419-10-3.gif

SJB_419-10-4.gif

SJB_419-10-5.gif

SJB_419-10-6.gif

is the sjb the box with the fuses under the dash? Or someplace else?

You don't have to take half of that stuff off. Trust me, I just did this. Here is the only necessary steps from that manual that you actually need to do:
1, 10, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 23. I dont know why the manual has you taking all kinds of other stuff out. There's no need to remove instrument panel bolts or A pillars. I just saved you at least an hour of time. :)

went to my buddy's shop and he cleared the codes now it works....I don't know what's going on?...he still thinks its the sjb.. I have no idea!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea no if you turned the knob and it clicked at certain position that normal, if its a click coming from under the hood it would be a relay, just thought i woudl clear that up just in case.

Back