interior lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interior lights

OK so i just made my puddle lights blue but it looks kinda looks wierd with the interior lights white... Is there a way to make the interior lights blue when i press the unlock button but have the interior lights white when i turn them on? I know this is conussing but if u get what i am saying can u please help me out with this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only way I could think of is a to hook up extra blue lights and run fresh wiring with a threeway toggle switch thats hooked up with factory wiring, that when you go to get out flick the toggle to the blue setting so when you open your door the lights are blue and when you get in flick it the other way for them to be normal. Thats the only way I can think of right now, Or get a one of those buttons and put in the door jam so when the door is open it activates the lights while the door is open and shuts them off while its closed.

ok I will try to mess with it... thanks buddy

Yeah, no prob. That's a good idea being able to switch them though, never thought about it until you brought it up.

offroadLAX,

Yes u can set up a switch, either an On-On or On-Off-On.

What wattage lights are you using.

R U using the interior light wire to control the extra lights?

The problem that occurs is that standard interior lights switches are usually setup to ground out when actuated.
The added lights would probably turn on the power when the switch is actuated.
If using a single switch to set this up you need to either setup the new lights as ground actuated or a Double pole switch setup.

ok so my whole reason for making the white lights was because I thought that the blue lights were not going to be bright. So I wanted to see what they looked like so all i did was take out one of the bulbs and painted two thin layers of glass paint and then i re-installed them and they were bright enough. So i decide to paint all of the dome lights blue and leave the two reading lights in the back white (don't turn on when doors are open) it actually looks really good

where did you get the glass paint?

i'm curious about this too..it's a good alternative to sharpie :p:

you could wire up some LED's and run them off of the interior lighting circuit. Again, you are still at the point of having a toggle or something to change from white to blue, but LED's are sooo coool. :D

So i decide to paint all of the dome lights blue and leave the two reading lights in the back white (don't turn on when doors are open) it actually looks really good

Always good to try other alternative, great that it worked out.

Back