• Register Today It's free!

Interior Lights

harddrive747

Reaction score
City, State
Waldorf, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
10 Eddie Bauer 4x4 V8
I have recently purchased a 2010 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. It is a terrific truck and I have enjoyed it. With just under 3500 miles, there has been no issue with it.

I do have a small issue. When I unlock the truck the interior light come on which is terrific. Also at night a lot more lights come one, which is terrific. I can get in the truck and close the doors and the lights do not go off until I start the truck. This is fine as well.

What I have an issue with is when the doors are open and I start the engine, the lights will still go out even with the doors open. When I close the doors and then reopen, the interior lights will come on like they are suppose to. During the day the lights going out when I start the truck is ok, but at night, I don't like that because it makes the interior dark and I have someone still entering the truck while I let the engine warm up.

Is there a way to have the interior lights stay on while the door is open when I start the engine. I don't want to change anything else but that.

Thanks for letting me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take it back, demand a refund. :D

My 07 does that also. Kinda sucks but I dont know of any way to change it.

I checked into this begining in june of 2006 soon after i bought mine. First the dealer said "could not duplicate my concern". I had to go down and show them... then they said "Hmmmm thats odd" Later that day they called to say it was functioning as designed. It actually says in the owners manual that this will happen. I see a lot of cars in the course of my job and i determined that 2006 explorers built before December 2006 DON'T do this. Dealer called Oasis tech with this information to see if there was some sort of mid year production change affecting interior lights and I was told there was not. I pressed harder and stated that if there was some moduel or other part I could swap at my own expense I would buy it from them, to no avail.

If anyone can find out why early 2006's don't do this, please share.

My solution is open the door, start the car, close the door, then re-open the door or another door while the 4.2 kids get strapped in.

Yea thats why I noticed it. Strapping in kids. I will have to see if some other ford models do it in the same year band.

I know you have a 2010 , my 02 limited works like you want yours too, I fully close my truck and lock it then I unlock it and lights are on, I open drivers door leave the door open stick the key in the ingintion and start it and the lights stay on, something must be wrong with your truck.

I haven't noticed this quirk on any other ford models. I really want to find out why the first few months of 2006 model production DONT do this. Page 105 of my owners manual even states that the interior lights will turn out if ignition is turned to accessory or on...but somehow i believe this should only happen if key is turned on after doors are shut, ending the extended lighting time. Anyone with a build date around Sept / Oct / Nov 2005 want to confirm that your lights stay on when starting engine with door open?

Back