Interior lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Ok- how many interior lights am I supposed to have in my Ex?

This is the first one I've had with those worthless puddle lights so I lost the awesome door lights- are the only lights inside on the overhead console, the 2nd row dome, and the cargo area light on the ceiling?

Are there lights under the dash or anything? Trying to figure out if there are no more in there, or if they're just blown out. This thing is ridiculously dim inside, the dark charcoal interior doesn't help matters...

:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have the overhead, 2nd row and cargo in my 99 eddie and 2001 limited. They both have the side mirror puddle lights too. No under dash lights for me either. There are two lights in your overhead, maybe one is burned out? What are the awesome door lights that you are missing? I want some :)

'95-'97

f70a_1.jpg

'98-'01

!B)FZD0g!mk~$(KGrHqV,!jMEv1+0Cq3dBML71)dzpw~~_12.jpg

Looks like I'm going to retrofit the old lenses and light into my new truck. When you open the door, they illuminate the entire floor, back seat too.

I like those!! I didn't even know i needed them ;)

Would you tap into the puddle lights and go led?

Probably not LED, I would tap into the puddles, on my last 2 Ex's the regular bulbs were more than great for light... If I go LED in the doors, I'd have to go all LED everywhere as stuff that doesn't match would drive me crazy and I'd have to do the cluster and all... Not anything I really would want to do. Not for the work, just, meh, not my thing. :)

I added 4 LED's under the dash. 2 on either side. I tapped into the wiring on the back of the headlight switch and just zip tied the bulb sockets to something. Got tired of searching for something I dropped onto the floor at night.
edit: you could use the same bulb socket for regular 194 bulbs. I got them at napa for about 2 bucks each IIRC.

figured i'd post this in case you were interested. in my 3rd gen, i just put all LED lights in the stock housings (2xMAP, 3xDOME, 1xCARGO)

(Qty-2) 4410xHP12 in MAP (high powered for the extra brightness, worth the 11.95):
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/festoon.html

(Qty-4) 4410x9 (3 in the 2nd row DOME, 1 in CARGO):
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/festoon.html

also, i put 2 of these for my license plate lights (WLEDx4):
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html

*All in cool white

edit- forgot to mention i have a dark grey/black interior with the grey leather seats. they light up nice :thumbsup:

Joe, I have a set 95-97 of door panels. If you need the lights off them, I can remove them and send em to you, if you want to try a retro fit. I kept them around for spare parts, but have been thinking of throwing them out. They just take up too much room.

Unless your going to just replace the entire door panel, as they would cost more to ship than a set from a JY most likely. :dunno:

I'm making a jy run this weekend as I need to get some things. I would only be able to use the old lenses as I have the dark graphite interior which wasn't available with the old panels. If I can't find some I'll hit ya up... Thanks!

Adding zip-tying isn't a bad idea- I could add some under the dash, and maybe some under the front seats too.

The only think I'm down on LED's for is the color. I like warm white. I know I'm ridiculous. :D

Thanks for all of the info guys...

Back