interior noises and driver side wind | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interior noises and driver side wind

drakon543

Reaction score
City, State
Tannersville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mountaineer luxury
ok so here is 2 new questions for everyone. the 2 storage spots in the upper console with the rear hvac controls have a minor vibration. looking for a good suggestion to tighten them up as they are right up by your head so they can be quite annoying like a gnat flying around your head. my next one is once im cruising i have some wind noise that seems to be emanating from the drivers door. all the seals seem to be in good shape and nothing feels loose so im curious if anyone has had a similar noise in this area and can help me pinpoint it. its a used vehicle so i never expected it to be perfect when i bought it but anything i can do to make it better would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your air noise on the drivers side I think is the window. Its not the seal itself its the rear outer trim piece the seal sets into. What happens is the plastic breaks where its screwed to the car and it doesn't seal properly causing wind noise. Last time I checked it was around $50 usd for that trim piece. You can check and see if its broken really easily just roll down the window and pull on the window track/seal and look where the screws are. On my car if I move the window down the tiniest amount it will reduce the noise.

On the wind noise, I have this problem that I haven't tackled yet but I know it is from the molding the window slides into when it is in the up position not tightly fitting against the door frame. I can push the molding into the door frame running along the B-pillar and it will stop the noise for a few miles. I bought some 3M double sided tape to fix it but I am waiting for a fairly warm day to apply it. Try pushing the molding into the rear door frame and see it this temporarily stops the noise. It is best to do this when the window is down.

Your air noise on the drivers side I think is the window. Its not the seal itself its the rear outer trim piece the seal sets into. What happens is the plastic breaks where its screwed to the car and it doesn't seal properly causing wind noise. Last time I checked it was around $50 usd for that trim piece. You can check and see if its broken really easily just roll down the window and pull on the window track/seal and look where the screws are. On my car if I move the window down the tiniest amount it will reduce the noise.
thanks ill check into it. i dont really want to tear things apart unless i atleast have an idea to look at.

Back