Interior Overhead Lights Fused (2000 Merc Mount) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Overhead Lights Fused (2000 Merc Mount)

Lewa1200

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys, I've browsed this forum for years because I love my Mountaineer and really enjoy checking out what people around the world do to their Explorers/Mountaineers--it turns out today I'm having a problem I can't seem to resolve:

I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer V8 Premier. I was changing a dead bulb in the dome light (of the midsection of the car--the one with two manual lights on either side and one courtesy light that comes on when the door is ajar), when I accidentally placed the screwdriver on the metal plate on its plastic trim.

I immediately noticed a small spark and the next thing I knew, all of the interior overhead lights (the map lights, the middle dome light, and the rear square light) quit working.

The puddle lights, the rear brake light, and the radio all work just fine. Its just that these three lights on the roof wont come on at all.

I've checked all of the fuses and only one was blown--the #26 10A at the side of the dash. Once I replaced that, the puddle lights came on, but the interior lights still wont turn on.

Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, after much fidgeting around, I found out what some of the problem was and have resolved 2/3rds of the issue.

Turns out that the when I was putting in the map lights back in, the conductive paper that you lock the bulbs into was broken and folded over. I simply set it back in place, carefully locked the bulb in and the map lights worked.

For the mid-section lights, I found out that they only work when you have ALL three screws fully screwed in--this way the plates of the trim unit connect with that of the roof.

I've tried almost everything there is to do with the last rear light, it just wont work. The filament on the bulb looks fine.

Make sure the bulb is good. You should have 2 black/Lt Blue wires on one end and a black wire on the other. Because the power comes to the cargo light and then to the mid-section lights, you must have power to the connector.

I checked the wiring and all seemed to be good. New bulb came in, I tried that, and it works fine! Can't believe that that the old bulb's filament must have broke when I took it out the first time. Thanks for posting!

Hey guys, after much fidgeting around, I found out what some of the problem was and have resolved 2/3rds of the issue.

Turns out that the when I was putting in the map lights back in, the conductive paper that you lock the bulbs into was broken and folded over. I simply set it back in place, carefully locked the bulb in and the map lights worked.

For the mid-section lights, I found out that they only work when you have ALL three screws fully screwed in--this way the plates of the trim unit connect with that of the roof.

I've tried almost everything there is to do with the last rear light, it just wont work. The filament on the bulb looks fine.

How did you get the map bulbs out? I have been having the hardest time trying to change them

How did you get the map bulbs out? I have been having the hardest time trying to change them

Just pop the lens out and the turn the bulbs..they come right out.
But like the op says..watch that contact circle thingy.

thanks it worked, eventually

Back