Interior project for the weekend done *pics* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior project for the weekend done *pics*

draft

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mounty Sport
Had a garage from Friday night to tonight at 7PM to be done and gone, so I gladly took advantage. Interior was boring, and needed some shine. Depending what I do with the next chunk of money, a big part of my dash/console might be sent into a local body shop for some professional paintjob, most likely just a glossy black. Anyways, I bought 2 yards of vinyl from Joannes, 2 cans of VHT vinyl dye, 1 can of Dupli-Color clear coat and satin black sitting around. Most of you know I had seat covers.. those are off and I'll sell them off if anyone wants them. I took out all the seats and steam cleaned both the seats and carpet extremely well, looks soo clean.

Really exhausted, so here they are, they'll speak for themselves.

consolelid.jpg

driverside.jpg

glovebox.jpg

leftandmiddle.jpg

passdoor.jpg

passeat.jpg

Not sure if I like it just yet.

rightside.jpg

Oh, and yeah I put 20ft of dynamat on the doors since I had them off, and about 30 cuts on my fingers because of it. And since my cabin lights are all out (was supposed to replace.. a month ago?), just too lazy, here's my wonderful lightsource for the evening. :p

lightbulb.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job overall! :thumbsup:

Now the criticism.... I thought about doing the arm rests on the doors the same but I'm affraid of the ware... The speaker cover did you just piant them? Though about that too. :cool: Not to crazy about the glove box door. looks kinda weird. I think it woud be better if it was all painted black. What did you use for paint? I was thinking of doing the whole interior black....but thats alot of work! :eek:

The ware I'm not too worried about, it's a dye that penetrates itself through the fabric and does nothing but that, I did put a protective coat of clear over just to make sure. But as far as I'm concerned, I scratched it, nothing happened, that's all that matters.

Speaker grills.. Kyrlon Satin Black, just make sure whatever you use bonds to metal, or even some Rust-Oleum. Don't forget to sand/prime for a permanant coat.

The light doesn't give the glovebox much justice.. it's the same stuff as the console lid, just the angle kinda ruins it. Hell, it looked good on the table when I was doing it. :p

Whole interior black? Eh, not my thing, I'm a two-tone guy, here's a pic of someone who did their entire door panel black.

Attachments

• DCP_1009.jpg
    DCP_1009.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 524

Did you use your 50% off coupon for joannes?
Joannes always puts out a 50% off coupon in the mail.

flipped 98x said:
Did you use your 50% off coupon for joannes?
Joannes always puts out a 50% off coupon in the mail.

Nah, it was only $7.32 for it. We got the end of the roll, and didn't charge us for an entire yard, was $6.99 a yard I think.

looks great.

Nice clean install. You'll have to keep us posted as to its long term durability.

Wow, I like the speakers, I have to do that. How easily to the grille's pop out? Did you have to take off the whole door panel?

So you just coated them with the black spray paint and then a clear coat? My arm-rest is already black and I have black rubber mats.

Have to remove entire panel to paint the grills, they don't come out. Or.. you could tape everything off, but then you're just asking for overspray trouble. Yes, paint and seal.

Looks great! Awesome stereo set up too!

Critism? I don't know how it would look but I would do the passenger airbag area as well.

I think the glove box would look better if you painted the handle as well. Also, painting the panel under the steering wheel should help balance out the glove box. While you're at it, maybe you could paint the airbag/vent to balance out the instrument cluster. Or perhaps someone could photoshop it for ya first, just to get an idea?

woodychitwn said:
I think the glove box would look better if you painted the handle as well. Also, painting the panel under the steering wheel should help balance out the glove box. While you're at it, maybe you could paint the airbag/vent to balance out the instrument cluster. Or perhaps someone could photoshop it for ya first, just to get an idea?

Glovebox is vinyl'd, took about an hour to do, used epoxy. I kinda like the way it looks, but I'd be interested as to what it would look like. The panel under the steering wheel has double curves so vinyl'ing it wouldn't be easy at all, and it wouldn't match if I just painted it. I was planning on vinyl'ing the airbag cover as well, but I decided to stay away from it as functionality is more important than looks when it comes to getting in there for the time being.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

putting vynil on the air bag cover wont do anything to the functionality..itl hit u in the face all the same lol..seriously though all it would do is add the weight of the vynil to it so as long as ur not adding 5lbs( would really hurt then) ur fine

mhn3773 said:
putting vynil on the air bag cover wont do anything to the functionality..itl hit u in the face all the same lol..seriously though all it would do is add the weight of the vynil to it so as long as ur not adding 5lbs( would really hurt then) ur fine

I made a thread regarding vinyl and the airbag cover in this very forum. From this, I didn't want to mess with the functionality of the airbag itself getting to the airbag itself, or even just getting the cover off. Whether there's vinyl on it or not, it's still a god dam deadly projectile, I didn't plan on putting a pillow on it now or something...

I'm in the middle of a big interior myself. I used a Plasti-kote Flexible bumper & trim paint (flat black) to paint the speaker grills. I tried the steps I made up as I went on a panel I purchased on Ebay for $5. I first used a clear primer paint from Meijers. I didn't sand the area at all. Then used the flexible paint. Now you have to let that set for 24 hours. Yes it does dries to the touch in 20 minutes. I tried one spot of letting it dry for 2 hours then sprayed on a Plasti-kote Ultra Enamel. I found out why they say 24 hours. The spot fog over in an hour. Then you finished its a satin black look. The paint doesn't crack when the pastic is hit hard because of the flexible paint but has strength of Enamel. I did the same steps to the window vents on the top of the dash. The little vent between the radio bezel and passenger air bag. I covered the glove box and the kick panel under the steering wheel in black seude. I have alot more work a head of me. Like black seuding the console armrest, passenger air bag, door panels, headliner, recovering the seats, etc.... That just some of what I still am working on.

Charles

I'm confused... which parts are dyed (with vinyl dye?), and which parts are covered in the vinyl?

Looks great... although I would pick a different 2nd tone to go w/ the black.

edit: how did you do the seat? Does that piece come off?
- ok I just reread everything - you just dyed the vinyl and covered it all? what did you use to attach the cloth to the plastic?

hydroxy said:
I'm confused... which parts are dyed (with vinyl dye?), and which parts are covered in the vinyl?

Looks great... although I would pick a different 2nd tone to go w/ the black.

edit: how did you do the seat? Does that piece come off?

The door vinyl parts (arm rest and above) are the only parts dyed. The speaker grilles were painted. The console lid/glovebox were recovered in vinyl. I wanted a second tone.. sort of a brushed black/silver look, but I was too afraid it was going to clash, I still might try if I can get some junk pieces from the yard.

Seat part comes off with 3 screws in each one and some easy disconnecting if you have power seats.

Back