Interior storage options are pretty amazing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior storage options are pretty amazing

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I was afraid with the shifter on the console that the interior storage would be really limited. I was amazed.

The armrest storage on the XLT has swallowed a 2 cell Maglite, miscellaneous glasses and sunglasses, and lots of other stuff and still has plenty or room. The little compartment in front for phones, etc. is nice sized as well. And the glove box has lots of space too.

I especially like the compartment in the right rear of the XLT with the door. (which may get taken up by a subwoofer with premium sound). It was a great place to throw the road flares, hand tools, etc.

What I would like is to figure out an easy way to put an interior light in the armrest compartment. Lots of stuff in there, and hard to see it all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Storage

Agree with the storage upfront. On our 04, it was nice to have the floor storage compartment in the rear. Was a great place to keep our trailer hitch when we weren't towing. As it is, there isn't a good place to store it in the 11.

Agree with the storage upfront. On our 04, it was nice to have the floor storage compartment in the rear. Was a great place to keep our trailer hitch when we weren't towing. As it is, there isn't a good place to store it in the 11.
I keep both a 2" and 2 5/16 hitches with ball in the Explorer. I just ordered a couple bags from etrailer.com for 10 bucks a piece that seem like they are pretty sturdy. I'm hoping they will fit in the floor next to the folded down third row seats.

Storage

Yep, they will fit in below third row. Only issue is that there is nothing to keep them from sliding around. Not a huge deal. Was just better with old version IMO.

I keep both a 2" and 2 5/16 hitches with ball in the Explorer. I just ordered a couple bags from etrailer.com for 10 bucks a piece that seem like they are pretty sturdy. I'm hoping they will fit in the floor next to the folded down third row seats.

What bag did you order? I see a few and think it is a great idea!!

What bag did you order? I see a few and think it is a great idea!!
I ordered two of this one. $9.35 each plus shipping.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBMB.html

I just went ahead and ordered two of them, even though I think one will likely hold both drawbars. If I don't need both of them, I will put tools and stuff in the other.

I have some old towels I'll wrap the bars in if need be to keep them from bashing into things.

They have some others that are more expensive and padded inside, but I couldn't tell if two bars would fit and they were a bit expensive to order two of if I didn't need the other.

I ordered two of this one. $9.35 each plus shipping.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBMB.html

I just went ahead and ordered two of them, even though I think one will likely hold both drawbars. If I don't need both of them, I will put tools and stuff in the other.
Got the bags in the mail today. They are medium duty nylon and coated on the inside.

Each of them are big enough to hold two draw bars. I put both in bag, flipped up one of the rear seats, and slid the bag in. It fits nicely behind the seats. I'll be using the second bag for locks, pins, and other miscellaneous tow stuff.

Got the bags in the mail today. They are medium duty nylon and coated on the inside.

Each of them are big enough to hold two draw bars. I put both in bag, flipped up one of the rear seats, and slid the bag in. It fits nicely behind the seats. I'll be using the second bag for locks, pins, and other miscellaneous tow stuff.

I'm not totally clear where you are storing these. Are you raising the third row into the seating position and then putting them under the seat and folding down again?

I'm not totally clear where you are storing these. Are you raising the third row into the seating position and then putting them under the seat and folding down again?
Pretty much.

Just flip it far enough to slide the bag under/behind the other seat, the flip the it back down. The nice part is that you don't have things sliding around on top.

Back