• Register Today It's free!

Interior "wood" trim

sjmst

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Limited
Did a search but did not find anything really on point: I am looking to purchase a 2002 Explorer Limited. As some may know, they put in a washed out gray plastic "wood" trim in those. Not knocking anyone who likes it, but I prefer to change over to the more traditional brown trim. Can anyone tell me if this is a big deal? This is round the radio and on the doors. Can it be a DIY job?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is a DIY job. Usually the "wood" dash kits are put on with 3M double sided tape. There is 2 types of dash kits, a molded and a flat. The flat as you can guess is just flat pieces. The molded are more $ and wrap around pieces. Think pre 2001 dashes around the radio. I have a link at home for a few manufactures that make both. They make them in many different types of wood. I will post it when I get home if no one else does it first.

Yes it is a DIY job. Usually the "wood" dash kits are put on with 3M double sided tape. There is 2 types of dash kits, a molded and a flat. The flat as you can guess is just flat pieces. The molded are more $ and wrap around pieces. Think pre 2001 dashes around the radio. I have a link at home for a few manufactures that make both. They make them in many different types of wood. I will post it when I get home if no one else does it first.

Thanks, yes, I know about the stick on stuff. Not a bad option, but I was thinking more along the lines of actual new trim. I have done this before (on a Saab) and while it was a PITA, it only took two hours and looks like new from the factory.

I used the tray adapters that came with my battery. They were in the top cover. I have seen some of the batteries sold without that part. Maybe you need to go back to where you got yours and see.

I painted my trim the same color as my car. The trim pieces on the door are plastic welded in there. You will have to drill them out and to reinstall them I used some small thick screws (like the ones that come with car radios) to reinstall the trim
PICT4240.jpg

Back