• Register Today It's free!

Intermittant Check Engine light

JHolben

Reaction score
City, State
Hampstead, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer Sport
My stock 95 Explorer Sport, that I recently acquired, has developed a problem with the check engine light. It comes on randomly, stays lite for a while, then goes off. Engine seems to be running ok except for during acceleration it seems to be "surging". By this I mean the engine sounds like the rpm is dropping off then increasing then repeating this again until it reaches highway speed. This vehicle was one-owner with 166,000 original miles on it. It appears to have been garage kept and very well taken care of. This check engine light has me puzzled. Before I go to my favorite mechanic and contribute to his Summer Vacation fund, has anyone had a similar problem? Any hints or solutions would be greatly appreciated. I will probably end up having to take it to the shop anyway, but I thought I would take a stab in the dark and hope for some help to save money. (I have been unemployed since August of 2010). Just a poor ol construction superintendent trying to get by until we get somebody in D.C. who gives a Rat's patooee about us little guys. Thanks in advance for your help.:banghead:

Have you had the codes read yet on the vehicle? I'm pretty positive that this has the OBD2 plug so you should be able to use any of the readers that any of the parts stores carry.

You might start out with a good tune up if it hasn't had one recently..

Thanks for the tip.

Back