• Register Today It's free!

Intermittant Engine No Starts

BigDakota

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer SportTrac
On several occasions the X will not start after driving it around for awhile. I let it sit for a few minutes and it starts right up!

There is fuel and pressure in the rail, all dash power is on and engine cranks over.

These symptems started after I unplugged my Message Center to reset it.

The X had no probs up to this point. I had unplugged MC reset, plugged back together and the X would not start. I unplugged MC and the X started. I did this 2 times to make sure this was really happening and it repeated its problem.
The M/C was from a full size explorer with more fuel tank capacity versus my Sports smaller fuel tank capacity and the M/C had intermittant incorrect readings because of this...The readings became more sporadically incorrect over time. I have since removed the M/C but the starting probs still exist.

Now..do you think I messed up the GEM or computor functions?
The X will always start after it sits for 2 to 5 minutes!?
I did do a search on intermittent starts and got a couple of ideas but the M/C starting point has me wondering!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*bump* Any thoughts, visions or incantations!

What is the fuel pressure at the rail when it won't start?
I might try pulling codes from the computer. Some no starts will leave clues in the computer.
Do the spark plugs fire when it won't start?

I did not have a guage to check the fuel pressure when it acts up, but, I did get a good strong/solid burst of fuel when I pushed in on the valve on the fuel rail!
There are no codes..as of yet.....Good question on the plug spark...ummdaaaaaa..I will pop a wire off and check it out the next time it happens....I fear I boogered something up when the M/C was installed!!

Thanks for the feedback Mrshorty

similar problem, "solution"

I have a similar problem with no codes set. I did discover however that if I hold the gas pedal down, just a bit, it starts normally. I haven't looked into the cause yet and am wondering if a dirty throtle or malfunctioning TPS could be the culprit.

captainjack said:
I have a similar problem with no codes set. I did discover however that if I hold the gas pedal down, just a bit, it starts normally. I haven't looked into the cause yet and am wondering if a dirty throtle or malfunctioning TPS could be the culprit.
Very Interesting......I will try this also when my X decides to start!

Back