Intermittant Oil Pressure Gauge on 03 XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittant Oil Pressure Gauge on 03 XLS

JWood

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 2WD 2002 XLS 2WD
Has anyone experienced their oil pressure gauge operating intermittantly? My 4.0 SOHC '03 has 51,000 miles and sometimes while driving the check gauge light comes on and the oil gauge shows no pressure. Then awhile later it returns to normal. What's up with that?

Have you check the oil level? If so and level is ok, It can be few things like; the gauge itself is failing, loose wire from oil pressure sending unit to the gauge, it can also be the oil pressure sending unit or it can be the oil pump. It's best that you take your vehicle to the shop for proper diagnostic before a simple problem gets real bad. If it is gauge, wire or oil pressure sending unit that's causing you the trouble, it won't harm your engine at all, you just don't get accurate reading. But if its the oil pump that's failing, that is something you wanna take care right away as you will not get proper circulation of lubrication in your engine.

Oil Levels check fine

each time. I have not yet checked the other things you mentioned, but thanks for the reply. Not one else responded so I guess it is not a problem for the 03 Explorers in general, just mine.

Back