Intermittent A/C clutch engagement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent A/C clutch engagement

Dora The 4x4'a

Reaction score
City, State
Smalltown, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
So, for starters, I did try looking around the forum but I believe my problem may be more unique.

At first the a/c clutch was engaging every 20 sec. or so then immediately disengaging again. the voltage would bog down and shoot back up respectively. That was in the winter so I went ahead and disconnected the a/c by pulling the pigtail out o the wiring harness. I taped it off and let it sit. This summer I wanted to see if it would work so I plugged it back in (after cleaning the pigtail and harness) and now the clutch never engages (w/ a/c "on" of "off").

FYI: since i disconnected it I replaced the alternator and battery, charged the a/c system up to proper pressure & tested the leads to the pigtail. I found voltage going through the wires w/ the a/c switch engaged and not, blower motor runs at all speeds respectively but on ?off" it still blows relatively fast & all fuses are ok in the fuse box.

Questions: double-check me: how should i properly test the voltage in those pigtail wires (which one should have voltage and when), could this be a a/c relay despite getting power to those leads?

thanks for reading and thanks ahead of time for the help!
-chris

Back