• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Cruise Control

fordsalot

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
I just purchased a 2003 Sport Trac with 86K miles. The cruise control is difficult to engage. At the proper speed, if the cruise control is turned on and the SET button is pressed, the dash indicator flashes, but the cruise control does not engage. It may take many attempts before it locks on. Once it engages, all functions work as they should until the next stop and the ignition is turned off. Then, without fail, the problem presents itself again. Any suggestions as to which component is at fault?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem 2003 XLT 4x4 4.0L with 112k, once it does turn on it works fine. Sometimes it might take 3 - 4 presses of the button for it to latch on

--Joe

Joe,
I wish mine would lock on in 3 or 4 tries. Often I have to just give up after many, many tries.
Thanks for the reply.

2003 Mountaineer

Cruise control works intermittenly. sometimes will not work at all. Also the ABS light comes on and off. The backup light thing on the dash that beeps, is not working, unless I push it off and on several times. The serve engine soon light stays on. (I put a piece of tape over it so I don't have to look at it! Anyone with any ideas please!

Cruise control works intermittenly. sometimes will not work at all. Also the ABS light comes on and off. The backup light thing on the dash that beeps, is not working, unless I push it off and on several times. The serve engine soon light stays on. (I put a piece of tape over it so I don't hav to look at it! Anyone with any ideas please!

There is a switch on the top of the master cylinder that needs to be replaced. It's about $45. I had the same intermittent problem and ABS light on my 2003, then the cruise stopped working altogether. I replaced the switch and it's working again.

problem fixed

I had my husband take the switch off and clean with silicon spray, replaced it and my cruise control works and the ABS light went off. thanks

another problem!

The service engine light has been on for a year. I had the EGR sensor replaced and the light came back on within an hour. Also, the DVD player in the back quit working, won't read the dvd, anybody know anything about these two?

Back