Intermittent hard starting 2000 5.0. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent hard starting 2000 5.0.

zorac311

Reaction score
City, State
St cloud mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Xlt 5.0
Hey everyone. I've read many old threads and haven't found conclusive answers. I have intermittent hardstarting on my 2000 5.0. Sometimes it cranks for 3-5 seconds like its starved for fuel, sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't matter if I prime the fuel pump by turning the key on a few times or not. Sometimes it fires right up and stalls unless I tap the gas. Sometimes it causes zero issues at all. I don't suspect leaking injectors or intake manifold at this point. It has newer plugs, coils, wires, battery and alternator. Fuel pressure test was ok. I'm leaning towards old fuel pump/in tank regulator if my simple ideas don't fix it. Egr valve, iac valve, clean MAF, ect sending unit, pcv. Not just throwing parts at it. I am just giving it the old tune up as I have time. It was my dad's explorer and it only hs 114k! Most things I've touched so far were all original parts. Just getting annoying and I'm trying to figure out if dropping the tank is in my near future or not!? Anything obvious I might be missing? Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is fuel pressure at cold start?

2000 5.0 with only 114k is the stuff dreams are made of!

What is fuel pressure at cold start?

2000 5.0 with only 114k is the stuff dreams are made of!
Heck yeah! Love this thing. Its about 10psi. While running its at 60 or so. So far today I've been turning the key 3-5 times to prime the system and no issues. It's definitely fuel related. Truck doesn't have codes, rough idle or issues at WOT. I'm thinking it has to be the pump going out, the sending unit, the sensor or the line that runs in between. Given thats all in the tank I'd just replace everything in one shot just because. Anything I might be missing here?

Hey everyone. I've read many old threads and haven't found conclusive answers. I have intermittent hardstarting on my 2000 5.0. Sometimes it cranks for 3-5 seconds like its starved for fuel, sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't matter if I prime the fuel pump by turning the key on a few times or not. Sometimes it fires right up and stalls unless I tap the gas. Sometimes it causes zero issues at all. It has newer plugs, coils, wires, battery and alternator. Fuel pressure test was ok. I'm leaning towards old fuel pump/in tank regulator if my simple ideas don't fix it. IE, egr valve, iac valve, clean MAF, ect sending unit, pcv. Not just throwing parts at it. I am just giving it the old tune up as I have time. It was my dad's explorer and it only has 114k! Most things I've touched so far were all original parts. Just getting annoying and I'm trying to figure out if dropping the tank is in my near future or not!? Lol
Did you replace the fuel filter?
114K is new.
The 3-5 second start

If it always starts cold fine and is intermittent after the first start of the day I’d suspect the coolant temp sensor.

If it always starts cold fine and is intermittent after the first start of the day I’d suspect the coolant temp sensor.
Just an update for everyone. Explorer has new: fuel pump assembly, pressure vent valve, pressure sensor, throttle position sensor, clean throttle plate, adjusted throttle cable, new MAF sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, coils, coolant temp sensor, air filter, egr valve and tubing. It doesn't feel starved for fuel anymore. Now the only issue is idling down and dying on warm start ups. Unless I tap the gas pedal it idles down and stalls. I'm at a loss here. Couple buddies/local shops can't figure it out either. Not a huge issue, just annoying!

Just an update for everyone. Explorer has new: fuel pump assembly, pressure vent valve, pressure sensor, throttle position sensor, clean throttle plate, adjusted throttle cable, new MAF sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, coils, coolant temp sensor, air filter, egr valve and tubing. It doesn't feel starved for fuel anymore. Now the only issue is idling down and dying on warm start ups. Unless I tap the gas pedal it idles down and stalls. I'm at a loss here. Couple buddies/local shops can't figure it out either. Not a huge issue, just annoying!
? Where did you buy your replacement parts. Amazon, Ebay?
It sound like a coolant temp sensor.
Odb2- read the coolant temperature °F?
Unplug the MAF sensor and see if anything changes.

No codes, I assume?

? Where did you buy your replacement parts. Amazon, Ebay?
It sound like a coolant temp sensor.
Odb2- read the coolant temperature °F?
Unplug the MAF sensor and see if anything changes.
Pretty much oem, ngk or delphi for everything.

How fast does the pressure bleed off after shutting it down?

Do the returnless systems have check valves in the sending unit?

How fast does the pressure bleed off after shutting it down?

Do the returnless systems have check valves in the sending unit?
It still holds decent pressure. I think so, I replaced the entire assembly and the green tank vapor vent as well. I found a shop willing to check it out this week! I'll update everyone.

Make sure it's not got a vacuum leak somewhere.

Update for everyone. Finally got it to the shop. He ran a bunch of tests on it and will be driving it this week with computer hooked up and monitor what is going on. We're suspecting a leaking injector(s) at this point.

Back