• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent no start

Nixthebomb

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OKlahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV w/manual transmission, I'm currently having an issue with it not wanting to start at times, I can get in and turn the key and get nothing, sometimes when I turn the key it just clicks once, and others it starts right up. The times that is doesn't turn over I can turn the key over again sometimes it immediately start and others I have to do it a few times.

I have replaces the battery a month ago, and just had it tested so I know the battery is good
All connections at the battery are secure and tight

I'm trying to narrow down what the issue could be, I'm thinking it could be the main starter wire or the ignition switch, but it's only an intermittent issue so its presenting itself a little harder to narrow down

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A explorer I worked on it ended up being the starter, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt

I have seen the braided high current cable (on the starter) develop a bad connection causing this issue. Somewhere inside it got loose. I disconnected it , twisted it a full turn and hooked it back up, which made it work good. I then replaced the starter knowing that was the issue once i could get to it, but it was reliable to that point.

However, it doesn't hurt to disconnect the battery, clean the posts real good (do not grease them at all) and hook it all back up.

Dirty "even though I know they are clean" battery terminals are the most likely cause of this issue.

Don't forget the ground cable connection at the
starter bolt. This causes a lot of grief on Fords, and
is easily overlooked...

The starter is fairly new and when it cranks doesn't struggle

I've cleaned the battery posts, I'll definitely give the cable twist a try and maybe run an extra one, and check the ground as well

Back