Intermittent normal turn signal behavior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent normal turn signal behavior

Cheddar_Dan

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Top, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Exploder XLT
Hey All and Happy New Year!!

Before I start swapping bulbs, electro-mechanical flashers, etc. I thought it a good idea to ask about my unusual turn signal behavior.

Both left and right may or may not blink normally one day to the next. When acting up both left and right blink weak and erratically *OR* both left and right my blink normally and as expected. Signals do not work or fail consistently. No pattern to this oddity. First thought is flasher relay, but, like I said I thought I would ask the forum before the cask slinging begins.

Has anyone experienced this same behavior with their signals??

As always, BIG THANKS!

.cd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as it affects both left and right sides i'm not thinking bulbs tho this is still possible. it may be the flasher or the multi function switch. do the 4 ways work normally? if so it's probably not bulbs.

I would lean towards the multi function switch as the culprit myself , but do try the other options first . Keep us posted

UPDATE!! I popped out the "flasher" from under the dash (driver's left knee) and pried it opened carefully. There are basically two sets of contact points inside. I gently ran fine sandpaper between each point, reassembled and reinstalled the unit and ALL IS BACK TO NORMAL!!!!! :)

Back