Intermittent rough running, Code 214 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Intermittent rough running, Code 214

Jon94

Reaction score
City, State
Guilford, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Having some trouble with my mom's 94 Explorer. It intermittently has a rough idle. Accelerates fine, plenty of power. Check engine light used to come on intermittently, now it's on all the time. I scanned for codes, and I had a KOEO code 335 and a CM code 214. I replaced the DPFE sensor, which got rid of the 335 code, but I still have the 214 code and the CEL is still on and the engine still runs rough. There are no KOER codes.

Another weird thing that happens is that when I run the KOER test, my code reader first displays the cylinder identification code (in other words, it tells you how many cylinders your engine has). Obviously I have the 4.0 V6, but the code reader says it's a 4 cylinder. I'm guessing that's related to the code 214, since 214 means "cylinder identification ciruit failure." Everything I've read says that code 214 generally means a failed cam sensor.

Not sure where to proceed from here; I don't like firing parts cannons, but I'm kind of tempted to throw a cam sensor at it and see what happens.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Sounds like you're on the right track from the reading I did. If it was mine, I'd probably unplug the cam sensor and see if the 214 code goes away. You'll likely get a code for the cam sensor but that might narrow things down. To be extra sure, you might score an ICM from a junkyard and swap that first. The cam sensor is a pain to get to so, good luck with that.

<

Jon94

Reaction score
City, State
Guilford, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
This truck also has a leaking lower intake manifold gasket, so I have to pull the intake to fix that. I was going to replace the cam sensor while I had the intake off to make it easier.

<

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Sounds like a solid idea but try some diagnostic work first.

<

Centaurious

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
My code 214 was there when I purchased my Explorer. I replaced mine with a later model one from a junk yard. If you go this rout you will need to replace the connector with a later one, mine came from the junk yard as well. It has the same wire colors as your 94. I positioned mine using a guide from this site where you position the crank to a specific point and use a meter on the cam sensor.

Best of luck

<

prince402

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
I would like to try changing just the sensor on the 1994 synchronizer but sensors are available only starting with 1995.
Would the 1995 sensor fit on the 1994 synchronizer?
I understand that I would have to replace the 1994 style plug with a 1995 style.

<

prince402

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
SOLVED!!!!!
My consistent 111 and 214 codes are gone.
I replaced my ECM with a salvaged one and now my EB is running like new.

<