Intermittent RPM Increase in OD, Cruise set @ 55 MPH(Symptoms & Fix) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent RPM Increase in OD, Cruise set @ 55 MPH(Symptoms & Fix)

SteveIDusa

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I have been using the Forums for a couple of years now, just hiding in the Shadows and getting what I need to carry out the little chores that come up with any older used Vehicle, in this case it started with a 91 ranger(wrecked) and was replaced by a 1994 Explorer XLT...

Wanted to say Thanks for all of the great info that I have found here and repay with a quick run down of what I went thru and what fixed it for posterity's sake.

It started about a year ago, I have been searching and searching all over the net, even stopped at different Autoparts Stores, Local Garages, Transmission Shops and asked for input from those that would give it.

Symptom 1. Driving in to work (20 Mile Commute), Early Spring of the Year, 3/4 the way in with cruise set at 55 MPH, RPM's suddenly Jump up from 1500 or 1600 up to 2000 or 2100.

Symptom 2. Two months later, now getting closer to Summer, Starts Jumping up in RPM at around the 1/2 way mark in the Commute with cruise set at 55 MPH, Check Engine Light is now turning on occasionally when I go up a grade but goes off again once Level and no longer under load.

Symptom 3. Now into fall, It is Bumping up the RPM Early in the Drive within just a Mile or two after setting cruise at 55 MPH, any Load is causing Check engine Light to come on, but goes out again once level.

Symptom 4. Always Runs at Higher RPM when setting Cruise to 55 MPH, Check Engine Light still comes on under load and goes off. Going into a new spring, it has started to stumble from time to time, never dies, but stumbles, sometimes at a stop or light, others times it seems to struggle when accelerating.

Things that I tried to correct the issue:

1. General Tune up - Plugs, Wires, Air Filter and thur in an Oil Change & Filter as it was overdue. This had a good effect of smoothness of operation but now effect on the RPM Issue

2. Wild Throw into Left field here: Adjusted the Transmission Bands, no real change of any kind, so they must have been fine to begin with.

3. Out of fear that the Transmission was slipping, broke down and had the Transmission Serviced at Local Transmission Service Center, just so I could get an experienced set of eyes on the Pan and give me a maybe trust worthy Condition report - Which they brought out the pan to me to see for my self, and said that what was on the magnet was normal for over 200,000 Miles and as I bought it used have no Idea if ever serviced before or not. So took that with a grain of Salt. However they seemed to feel that it shifted into all gears as normal. They also threw it on their computer and gave me the engine codes that it was throwing out. Lean both sides, pulse wider than expected at Fuel Injectors.

4. Having read numerous Threads hear that sort of described the same types but not quite exactly my issue, Pulled off the Intakes and Valve Covers and regasketed. Wow, that really made a difference with the Pre detonation (Ping), but alas still no change on RPM or Check engine Light.

The Fix:

OK, so at this point, I am pretty sure that it must be a Sensor that is going bad. I am the first to admit, I am Lazy, I hate rolling around in the dirt under my rig, so I popped the hood and figured I would start with the First one in the whole process of getting Air and Fuel to the chambers. MAF is right there, dont even have to bend over or take a knee to pop this thing. One of the elements seemed to have a slight coating on one side. Some brake cleaner and slightest Fingernail scrape and it all busted up and came off. Re-installed and took it out on the Freeway just to see what if any change has occurred.

To my surprise, it was the MAF, it runs like it is new, accelerates like it is new, even burns low grade fuel without any pinging like it is new. (Thanks to Gasket Job I think)

I hope that anyone that is having this same experience can get a much quicker fix than I did, but it was all worth it.

Well I was going to say low tranny fluid or tranny going bad. But you did all that tranny work so its not that. Looks like you already done a lot trying to track it down. Have you checked all your Vacuum connections. I know when I had vacuum lines come off come loose my RPM's would increase. You could have a connections that has a rip in the rubber or the rubber has harden and not making a tight seal where it connects.

Sorry for any Confusion

The issue as been fixed and it is running excellent, I just wanted to document what it was that I was going thur, what I did and what it ended up being that seems to have made all the difference in the world.

It was the MAF being cleaned that really did the Trick. Even the check Engine Lite has Gone out and only showed up once for just a short time after a hard Acceleration.

feeling really good about the trucks reliabilty again.

Thanks for the reply.

Glad you got it sorted out. It does feel good when the X is running good.

Back