Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
94 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Completely stock.
110K miles

I'm having a problem where my Explorer will (randomly) not start. I'm experiencing this problem about once or twice per month. Happening maybe 3 or 4% of the time - and tends to happen in waves (I.E. acts up for a few times and then goes for weeks/months with no problems.

Explorer runs great. No check-engine-lights. Mechanically in good shape.

When it will not start, it cranks well (healthy battery and starter).

If I just let the car sit for a spell (say longer than 20 minutes), it will start right up.

I had the fuel pump/pressure checked and it is within range - tho on the lower end - but again "within range".

I realize this is not much to go on.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may be your fuel filter. It could have junk in it and when you stop cranking and let it sit the junk clogging the filter settles and allows fuel to get through. Its a shot in the dark but cheap and easy enough to try. I have had this happen before but it was on a 73 VW Bug. Its a guess I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will let me know. Good luck!

Thanks. Another 'clue' that dawned on me was that the Explorer has never not started 1st thing in the morning (after sitting all nite).

Like I said its a shot in the dark but worth a try. If you haven't changed it its not a bad idea to change it anyways.

fuel pump relay.....

Okay, I just replaced the fuel filter. We'll see what happens.

Passing on a few things learned.

The bolts on the bracket holding the fuel filter to the frame are 1/2.
I could only find the plastic connector release gizmos.
While the 5/16 sized one will tease you that it will work, the 3/8 is the correct one.
Whew.

Thanks MGMGMG. Is your note about "fuel filter relay" purely a suggestion... or is this something you are more confident about given what I'm experiencing.

Well guess we will only know if that was ultimately the problem if it continues to start for say a year straight. It was a good maintenance either way. Do you by chance still have the old fuel filter and could you get it open to see how bad it really was and maybe give us a little more knowledge if it is the culprit or if you need start checking relays and such.

i would start with the engine ground,its free.then pump relay,then pump itself.when it doesnt start do you hear the fuel pump priming it?

Quick update. Since replacing the fuel filter, the Explorer 'acted up' once. At the time it would not start, I went ahead and wiggled the wire connection on the fuel pump relay switch (the switch on the passenger side behind the carpet). And it started right up!.

The relay switch itself is not 'up', (the switch did not set itself) so I suspect it is the wiring connection to the switch. I'm gonna continue to monitor it before replacing the relay, and/or replacing the connector.

Quick update. Since replacing the fuel filter, the Explorer 'acted up' once. At the time it would not start, I went ahead and wiggled the wire connection on the fuel pump relay switch (the switch on the passenger side behind the carpet). And it started right up!.

The relay switch itself is not 'up', (the switch did not set itself) so I suspect it is the wiring connection to the switch. I'm gonna continue to monitor it before replacing the relay, and/or replacing the connector.

Thays the inertia switch not relay

Back