Intermittent starting issues please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent starting issues please help

Crabtree95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone i have a 2002 explorer xlt with the 4.0 k motor and 5r55s transmission. Every once in a while i go to start it and the starter turns a few times then the starter just starts clicking like i have a bad battery.

It first started with the starter turning a few times then hesitating then finally turning it over. Then it just went away out of nowhere for about a month.

Then about 2 weeks ago it happened again and i had to get jumped 3 times the morning it started happening. The local mechanic said it was most likely a bad starter after we checked the battery and alternator so we replaced it.

Then it went away until today when it had to get jumped twice again. Once i put the cables on it and started the other vehicale i wait less then a minute and it starts right up and i just have no idea whats wrong and im currently out of state and cant deal with my regular mechanic. i would really appreciate any help.

Sounds like the battery is going bad. Since it starts with a jump,
that pretty well eliminates everything but the battery or cables,
or possibly a corroded connection..

Then about 2 weeks ago it happened again and i had to get jumped 3 times the morning it started happening. The local mechanic said it was most likely a bad starter after we checked the battery and alternator so we replaced it.

He tested the battery how? I agree with Runnin' I would replace the battery. Most places give a lifetime warranty anyway, so if it goes bad right away from some draw/drain issue, you can get another one.

I've seen mechanics casually test a battery with a voltmeter, but that doesn't tell the whole story, especially if the truck has just been run. They don't bother burning off the surface charge, and load testing it, the cells can't handle the draw, and you have your intermittent start.

If the new batt doesn't do it I'd look at the battery cables; or starter relay.

Back