• Register Today It's free!

Introduction from FNG

EXPLODER1991

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, Va 23701
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Actually I'm not a FNG, I've posted a couple times but have been on this site for years. Recently returned from year long tour in Afghanistan, where I thought I got smart on 4X4s and especially my X. It's a '91 with 6in suspension lift and 3in body. Since I got back I've put 35 BFG M/Ts on, 4.56 gears front and rear (rear eaton e-locker, front lim slip) and have noticed huge difference. Also put new wires and plugs in the stock 4.0 and it feels like new. However, after 4 or so grand, the tranny goes. no prob, had it fixed and a week later goes out again. Now, I didn't just say fix it to stock. I didnt want to fork over to much more money for the tranny cuz after all the research in the ghan, I swear it will be running in usual rpm range for shifts, the speedometer even is only bout 2 mph off on highway. I'm getting 17 mpg in the city, bout 21 all highway. People rag me for the amt of $ I've put up for this thing, but the only major fault I can see is the tranny. I got a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty for the tranny, so I wont be scared to test it. Point is a lot can be said for gearing your wheeler/daily driver the right way. Anyway guys good to meet all of you. Will be looking to do some camping/wheeling trips this winter or fall if in the hampton roads area of VA. Let me know....

Jesse

Welcome. Glad to see your from VA. There's a good amount of us on here. Gearing is very important. Sounds like your rig is very nice. Also, the a4lds are pretty crappy transmissions. Show us some pictures.

-Drew

Welcome to the best moneysaver you could ever find. I hope that you get a lot out of it and I look forward to your contributions, especially in the transmission and gearing areas.

Back