• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Invention removes smell from pig poop

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
( DES MOINES, IA) - A man has received a $500,000 federal grant to mass produce his invention, a machine that removes the odor from hog manure.
The Tempest dryer, developed by Loran Balvanz, is designed to help solve water pollution, odor and noxious gas problems in the hog industry.

Balvanz said that because his invention separates water from the solids in manure, it can solve air and water quality problems.

The Tempest removes water from manure by spinning it at a high speed. The water is vented through the top of the dryer and vaporizes in the outside air.

The process reduces the volume and weight of the manure making for easy collection of the remaining solids.

The machine was developed for Balvanz's Global Resource Recovery Organization Inc., a company he founded in 1999.

Company president Bill Flowers said a farmer using the dryer each day could retain about 75 percent of the nutrients from hog manure. Since water is eliminated, farmers will no longer need long-term storage for liquid manure, Flowers said.

The smaller quantity of solids left over after the Tempest does its job can be stored on the farm and applied to fields as fertilizer when needed, he said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
So what they do with the "liquid"? :fart:

Edit: Never mind, I just reread it.

Hard to imagine that it is a completely odorless process.... :fart: :fart: :p

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Maybe some day they will make a machine to take the smell out of FARTS! :p

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Vapoorize?

vapoorize.gif

Stang Girl

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Cobra R Clone
FROADER said:
Vapoorize?

Wonder if it would work on people? There are a few in my office that I would like to vapoorize... :mad:

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Stang Girl said:
Wonder if it would work on people? There are a few in my office that I would like to vaporize... :mad:

If they are totally full of poo, I think it would work. ;)

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I wonder if it will totally eliminate or make it bearable enough to be around?

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Whow half a million dollars to reinvent the septic tank, Talk about a waste of tax money.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
unclemeat said:
Whow half a million dollars to reinvent the septic tank, Talk about a waste of tax money.

A septic tank that spins really fast. :p :D

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
unclemeat said:

Another example of pork barrel spending... no pun intended of course... I know that was baaaaaa-d.