• Register Today It's free!

IOS update- no text messages

stlrugger

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT
I updated my iPhone with the security patch last week and have lost the functionality of hearing my text messages played for me. It was working well ever since I updated the MFT Software last fall.

I tried to reset it and get an error message that my device (iPhone 5) doesn't support messaging.

Anyone else have this problem, or better yet, a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My HTC Sensation is listed by Ford as not working for text to talk with the Ex and the MFT indicates as much.

My simple fix is the eCID app which does talk to text, text to talk, reads email over speakers and you can talk to text email responses and reads calendar notifications all over Bluetooth. This app is on my Android, but Apple probably has it.

Otherwise, I'd make Rebecca aware at Ford IVT with a PM and maybe Ford will work a fix into the next MFT update. Wish they would do it with my HTC Sensation, where talk to text works fine with SYNC on my 2009 Escape, so I know it can be done for the Ex.

Me too.......the "Show Notifications" disappeared for me under Bluetooth settings.

I updated my iPhone with the security patch last week and have lost the functionality of hearing my text messages played for me. It was working well ever since I updated the MFT Software last fall.

I tried to reset it and get an error message that my device (iPhone 5) doesn't support messaging.

Anyone else have this problem, or better yet, a solution?

Try deleting the phone from MFT and MFT from your phone. Then re-pair them. When you do this be sure to check your phone just after it's paired. On my Android it asks to allow messaging.

My HTC Sensation is listed by Ford as not working for text to talk with the Ex and the MFT indicates as much.

My simple fix is the eCID app which does talk to text, text to talk, reads email over speakers and you can talk to text email responses and reads calendar notifications all over Bluetooth. This app is on my Android, but Apple probably has it.

Otherwise, I'd make Rebecca aware at Ford IVT with a PM and maybe Ford will work a fix into the next MFT update. Wish they would do it with my HTC Sensation, where talk to text works fine with SYNC on my 2009 Escape, so I know it can be done for the Ex.

When you say "over bluetooth" is that bluetooth phone or bluetooth media player?

When you say "over bluetooth" is that bluetooth phone or bluetooth media player?

As I understand it, the app works over the car speakers in phone or media mode, but if you use a headset it has to be A2DP compatible (and thus set to media) for it to work.

I just use the native text to talk in my Android with ICS and I believe (don't quote me) it goes over phone Bluetooth. The reason I don't know for sure is my phone is always hooked up to Bluetooth for both phone and media in my vehicles. I note in the app settings it offers options if you don't like the native Android text to talk to use "Babel" text to talk or below that "Babel A2DP" text to talk, so it seems to support both.

When I have the time I can test it out in the Ex on phone alone and media alone to see. Simple text or email to yourself is how you test it out in your car to make sure it is working properly. Tons of options. I have it set to read texts twice with a 2 second break between them.

I got the messaging through MFT back now but can someone else with 14 advise if they get the messages in the right side DIC screen?

In my 2013 Limited you would get the message pop up in the Right DIC and you could use the steering wheel controls to listen to the message, now its only the MFT screen and you have to manually activate the message.

Is this another feature delete for 14MY?

deleting and re-pairing my phone worked, but after installing the latest update it stopped working again. I deleted and re-synched, but am still getting the message that my phone doesn't support bluetooth messaging (though it obviously used to).

frustrating

update -- problem this time was user error. Somehow I managed to turn off notifications in the synch menu. Worth checking if you have a similar problem.

Back