Iphone 4s ok with Sync? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Iphone 4s ok with Sync?

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
I know some work better with sync than others, i am getting the new iphone with siri and want it to work well with my ford, will it?

I considered the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS with a Galaxy Nexus Samsung because the screen is better and bigger, but as I understand it the batter life is atrocious with those...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an iPhone 4S and it works great. My new thing is streaming bluetooth audio from the phone in my pocket to the stereo in the Ex. Fun with technology. :)
Oh yeah.. works well with calls and such too.. heh

I know some work better with sync than others, i am getting the new iphone with siri and want it to work well with my ford, will it?

I considered the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS with a Galaxy Nexus Samsung because the screen is better and bigger, but as I understand it the batter life is atrocious with those...

Yes it works great

I have an iPhone 4S and it works great. My new thing is streaming bluetooth audio from the phone in my pocket to the stereo in the Ex. Fun with technology. :)
Oh yeah.. works well with calls and such too.. heh

TuneIn radio app is great! Interesting question about Siri though, I'd like to hear the answer

Siri, how compatible are you with Sync?
waiting.gif

for those of you that are streaming music via bluetooth from the 4s, are you getting the album cover art to come up on the dash screen? My does not for some reason and I can't figure it out. also, my texts do not come up on MFT either. Any suggestions?

Tomg4121 iphone 4 & 4s they are not fully compatible @!!

for those of you that are streaming music via bluetooth from the 4s, are you getting the album cover art to come up on the dash screen? My does not for some reason and I can't figure it out. also, my texts do not come up on MFT either. Any suggestions?

Nope.. no cover art. I don't really mind though, as I always set my MFT to wallpaper as soon as I'm done fooling around with music and heat settings.

MFT will not do texting with a 4S. But Siri will. :)

Siri actually works well with the Explorer. Push and hold the Apple home button (assuming your phone is already paired and you are not mysteriously unable to pair because of a MFT bug) and the Siri voice comes out over the Explorer speakers and you can use the Explore mic to do things like send texts. The Explorer advertised feature doesn't work for this but Siri works well.

MFT is still quite buggy but I have hope for the new update. Unfortunately, Siri is not much better (the IPhone, I love, just not Siri). The text in car feature is practically the only thing I use Siri for anymore. Siri was pretty cool at first but like all voice recognition, it is really hit or miss. After realizing it only works about half the time the way you expect (and after showing all my buddies and playing the silly question game to death), I came to the conclusion that if you really want something done, it is much easier, faster, more reliable and less annoying to just do it the old fashion way.

Before I take my wifes '13 Explorer Limited into the dealer is there anything you can do to fix our issue with iphone 4s and sync ?

Issue : Sync shows that phone is paired and contacts are there etc.. But when there is a incoming call sync will not pick up call until you have been in "private call" for a few minutes and then after ending call sync will not hang-up or end call and still shows timer running for call.Also after it finally ends call..... radio will not resume play I have to manually shut system down and turn back on.

I talked to dealer about this a month ago and they said to disconnect battery for 10 minutes to reset controller. I did this and resynced the iphone 4s and we are still having problems.

Side note - I have a '10 Raptor w/o navigation and my iphone 4s and sync have worked flawlessly since day one.

Thanks Rick

Before I take my wifes '13 Explorer Limited into the dealer is there anything you can do to fix our issue with iphone 4s and sync ?

Issue : Sync shows that phone is paired and contacts are there etc.. But when there is a incoming call sync will not pick up call until you have been in "private call" for a few minutes and then after ending call sync will not hang-up or end call and still shows timer running for call.Also after it finally ends call..... radio will not resume play I have to manually shut system down and turn back on.

I talked to dealer about this a month ago and they said to disconnect battery for 10 minutes to reset controller. I did this and resynced the iphone 4s and we are still having problems.

Side note - I have a '10 Raptor w/o navigation and my iphone 4s and sync have worked flawlessly since day one.

Thanks Rick

The iPhone doesn't like being Sync'd to 2 SYNC systems. Not sure if yours is or not. Also, not sure if you've deleted your phone from SYNC and SYNC from your phone and then reconnect them.

Hi Rick,

Please make sure the iPhone is updated to the latest iOS, and take a look at our troubleshooting tips here:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ync-with-myford-touch.html?sync=my-ford-touch

If our tips don't correct this issue, please give Apple's a try:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS4562

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

Update :

I tried the Ford tips to no avail.Downloaded the sync update,installed and it..........WORKS !!!!! .Tried it four times and works great !

For anyone with the same issues when you drag the download to your usb device ....DO NOT take the whole folder.Only select the contents and drag them only. Not sure why Ford doesnt tell you this...if they do I never seen it mentioned anywhere. ( FYI Im using a Macbook )

If you take whole folder...Sync cannot find the file and you will get an error message when you try update.If you follow these instructions your update WILL start automatically.And yes it takes 20 minutes for the install to finish.

Thanks for the help

Rick

Back