iPhone text message alert tone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPhone text message alert tone

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
I realize the iphone does not support text messaging through MFT, however, with my old 3GS and now my new 4S, whenever connected to MFT, if I receive a text message, it does not provide an audible alert from the phone. I only know that I received a text message if I happen to visually see it pop up on the phone. No audible whatsoever when connected to MFT. If I disconnect from MFT, I receive an audible message alert no problem. Any ideas why? Anyone else notice this or have the same problem? Way to correct it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a result of MFT hijacking your phone's Bluetooth audio. I don't believe there's a way to fix it. Only workaround is to set MFT to Bluetooth audio where ALL sound from your phone goes through MFT -- text alerts included.

But, try fiddling around with Bluetooth audio settings and let us know if you come up with something.

Only workaround is to set MFT to Bluetooth audio where ALL sound from your phone goes through MFT -- text alerts included.

But, try fiddling around with Bluetooth audio settings and let us know if you come up with something.

Darn, I thought you were going to tell me how to do it :(

Hi everyone!

I've come across some phones that will allow the alert to sound through the vehicle speakers, but I haven't heard of a way to have them come through the speakers if you have an iPhone connected. Although, some say that their text alerts come though when connected to Bluetooth audio.

Have a great New Year!

Rebecca

I have owned an iPhone 4 and now the 4S and with both it's been totally random on getting a text alert sound from the phone while connected to MFT. For me it's never been sent through the speakers unless I'm streaming via Bluetooth. This is definitely something that I wish be addressed. I end up missing so many texts since I keep in phone in a case on my belt.

Anything?

So it's been almost a year since your last post. Have you guys come up with any answers/solutions? I recently purchased an Explorer and have the same issue. The ringer comes through the stereo but nothing else does (unless of course you're streaming audio from your phone).

Yes, this is a HIGHLY annoying "feature". My Infiniti still has the text chime loud and clear when connected via BT.

I'm still on 2.11 though until this weekend, can someone on the new MFT software chime in (pun intended) on if this has been fixed?

Nope

I have the latest MFT update and this is still an issue. About 2% of the time for some reason, alerts come out of my phone's speaker even though it's connected to BT. However, I believe that's just a bug rather than a feature because this only happens every once in a blue moon. I wish they'd just put a simple setting on the iPhone that would allow you to choose where audio alerts come out of and you could just change it to the phone or both the phone and BT. I know this is a stupid little thing to complain about but it's annoying.

I get text message alerts (iphone 4s) when my phone is plugged into usb (running new update)

While connected to bluetooth you can make alerts and sounds come out of the phone by double tapping the home button to bring up the task bar, swiping to the right to show the output control settings, selecting the output source button (looks like a tv w/ an up arrow in it), and selecting iPhone instead of Sync.

You're a genius

You're a genius! I've looked around a ton on the internet about this problem and no one has ever posted the solution you have. I didn't even know that "screen" existed. I've only had a chance to try it once on my way home from work today. All seemed to work good though.

Do you have to do that every time you get in the car? Does switching that from Sync to iPhone affect anything else or just where the alerts come from? Seems too good to be true.

So, after a few days of testing this is seems that this is something you have to do every time you get in the car which is kind of annoying. Better than not being able to do this at all I guess.

You're a genius! I've looked around a ton on the internet about this problem and no one has ever posted the solution you have. I didn't even know that "screen" existed. I've only had a chance to try it once on my way home from work today. All seemed to work good though.

Do you have to do that every time you get in the car? Does switching that from Sync to iPhone affect anything else or just where the alerts come from? Seems too good to be true.

Good news

I will try it

So, after a few days of testing this is seems that this is something you have to do every time you get in the car which is kind of annoying. Better than not being able to do this at all I guess.

Yeah, the phone's default behavior is to direct all audio through bluetooth when bluetooth is connected (otherwise you'd have to manually go set it to the headphones if you used bluetooth headphones, etc). Unfortunately SYNC connects to all profiles available (A2DP, as well as CTP) so it triggers the phone to direct all audio through the SYNC.

This is a workaround, not a fix for your problem, If you jailbreak your phone, you could disable A2DP if you don't use it, and it would likely solve your problem.

Yes every time you get in the car, and it would make audio from any apps (iPod included) play through the phone instead of Sync. It sounds like you aren't using bluetooth for audio though.

Confirmed that installing "Bluetooth Service Manager" on a jailbroken phone, and disabling the A2DP profile will make the phone behave as you have requested. It connects to handsfree (CTP), but does not direct other audio through SYNC automatically.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I want to go through the hassle of jail breaking the phone though. Your solution works pretty good. I found that if you change the output while music is not playing, then when you start playing music it'll still come out of the stereo system. If you change the output while music is playing, then it comes out of the iPhone's speakers. Between Apple and MFT, there sure are a lot of bugs but all pretty minor I guess.

Between Apple and MFT, there sure are a lot of bugs but all pretty minor I guess.

This particular issue isn't really a bug, it's by design, and it's the sole responsibility of Apple. As much as I'd like to have another reason to hate Ford for MFT, in this case I can't ;)

Glad I was able to help you with a workaround though!

The workaround works fine

Confirmed that installing "Bluetooth Service Manager" on a jailbroken phone, and disabling the A2DP profile will make the phone behave as you have requested. It connects to handsfree (CTP), but does not direct other audio through SYNC automatically.

I will try since my iPhone was already jailbroken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This particular issue isn't really a bug, it's by design, and it's the sole responsibility of Apple. As much as I'd like to have another reason to hate Ford for MFT, in this case I can't ;)

Glad I was able to help you with a workaround though!

If this is solely the fault of Apple, then how come in my Infiniti the text sound still comes out of the phone, and everything else goes bluetooth through the vehicle?

Back