iPhone USB only works 10-15 minutes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPhone USB only works 10-15 minutes

thefranchise713

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
Bizarre issue.

If I restart my phone, USB works for 10-15 minutes then dies out. Reconnecting does nothing, but restarting the phone will give me 15 more minutes of USB bliss. Doesn't work in the Sync 3 Explorer with CarPlay, nor the Sync 3 Focus without CarPlay.

Before anyone asks:
-I've changed cables.
-I've tried different cars (see above)
-I've reloaded the phone's software
-Checked for Sync 3 updates, none.
-Entirely reset Sync 3 for grins, no change.

Anyone with similar experience? Mine is a 6S on 10.0.2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a 5s and a 5SE connected and haven't have this issue in my Focus. I will be getting a 6s this week and will check it out. I'm on 10.1 beta, but don't recall any issues when I was on 10.0.2 beta.

Last night I disabled Mobile Apps entirely and am having much better luck. I'll keep monitoring.

Still having flaky performance. Boggled. :(

Still having flaky performance. Boggled. :(

I couldn't agree more, it is mind boggling.

Especially when you read the Class Action Suit internal details of the MYFORD Touch issues experience by CEO Mark Fields and Chairman Bill Ford.

The CEO breaks his screen he is so frustrated with the system they rolled out!

I would expect a flawless system to be called SYNC3.

I have been using FCA UConnect a lot lately and I must say it has none of these issues and the amount of user customization is amazing. The GIU is light years ahead as well. I tried their Mobile Apps and WiFi integration which was easy to use, and works well with iOS10.0.2

I think maybe Ford needs to poach some UConnect Engineers.

Sync 3 worked fine until I hit 10.02, and even the 10.1 beta can't make things any better for me.

Ironically, iOS 10 worked fine. So honestly, I have no idea what is going on anymore...

Right now I've given up on USB and just used Bluetooth for audio and USB for charging, which fortunately still works. No Mobile Apps, nor CarPlay... I'll live.

I almost miss MFT. It didn't give me any crap!

I've recently started listening to pandora via USB and I noticed it would play for a few minutes with the apps controls on screen then switch to just phone controls of pandora. Didn't think about it at the time but I'll have to check to see if it's switching to Bluetooth. I can go right back to apps and hit pandora and it'll start playing again but only for a few seconds, then right back to the basic controls on screen.

My son uses the USB and plays music from his phone uninterrupted without problem for extended periods of time. His phone is not paired via Bluetooth.

Sounds somewhat similar to my issue... I pinged IVT team via PM to look into this, but nobody ever did.

USB works when it wants, but somehow, much more consistently when I don't get near AppLink. Last night USB worked fine for 30 minutes, then I went to AppLink through Spotify. First thumbs down I voice commanded through broke everything.

Sounds somewhat similar to my issue... I pinged IVT team via PM to look into this, but nobody ever did. .
Not sure what you mean by "pinged". Did you click on their Forum name and chose "Start a Conversation" or chose "Conversations" from your profile?

Peter

Why does it matter how? Do they not get it if you do it one way and not the other?

Yeah, I sent them a PM by the conversation/inbox thing. Sorry, thought it was clear with 'PM'/private message.

Why does it matter how? Do they not get it if you do it one way and not the other?
They only want to receive messages via the Forum's "Conversation" route. Some have been using other media forms which they have requested not to be used.

Peter

That's the one I've used, and it's still garnered no response. I should probably just call the IVT team but last time I did that I wasn't impressed with the results.

That's the one I've used, and it's still garnered no response. I should probably just call the IVT team but last time I did that I wasn't impressed with the results.
Just sent them a "PM". Will see if any reply tomorrow. I don't think they are there on weekends.

I couldn't agree more, it is mind boggling.

Especially when you read the Class Action Suit internal details of the MYFORD Touch issues experience by CEO Mark Fields and Chairman Bill Ford.

The CEO breaks his screen he is so frustrated with the system they rolled out!

I would expect a flawless system to be called SYNC3.

I have been using FCA UConnect a lot lately and I must say it has none of these issues and the amount of user customization is amazing. The GIU is light years ahead as well. I tried their Mobile Apps and WiFi integration which was easy to use, and works well with iOS10.0.2

I think maybe Ford needs to poach some UConnect Engineers.

For those of you using iPhones. iOS10 had some issues when it came out initially. That's why 10.1 and 10.2 were released so quickly. Lot of compatibility issues and GUI issues when it came out.

As for engineers, Ford recently came to my school for recruiting and they were looking for software developers and embedded systems guys. If I applied, I wonder if they would accept a guy like me. I should probably apply and hope I get put on the SYNC 3 team.

The funny thing is, I think 10.0 worked fine, but 10.0.1 and upward started to give me grief. Can't remember for sure, though.

I'm still having fickle operation, but I somehow got it to work consistently if I plug it in a certain way (X seconds after vehicle start) and avoid certain functions (like AppLink.)

For grins I have been installing the latest iOS Betas... no luck there, either.

I've recently started listening to pandora via USB and I noticed it would play for a few minutes with the apps controls on screen then switch to just phone controls of pandora. Didn't think about it at the time but I'll have to check to see if it's switching to Bluetooth. I can go right back to apps and hit pandora and it'll start playing again but only for a few seconds, then right back to the basic controls on screen.

My son uses the USB and plays music from his phone uninterrupted without problem for extended periods of time. His phone is not paired via Bluetooth.

I turned Bluetooth off and got the same results. I'm also using the most recent iOS beta10.1.?

I turned Bluetooth off and got the same results. I'm also using the most recent iOS beta10.1.?

Ya i think for 10.1 we are up to Beta 4 now if I remember correctly.

I just got the iPhone 7 and so far no issues

The funny thing is, I think 10.0 worked fine, but 10.0.1 and upward started to give me grief. Can't remember for sure, though.

I'm still having fickle operation, but I somehow got it to work consistently if I plug it in a certain way (X seconds after vehicle start) and avoid certain functions (like AppLink.)

For grins I have been installing the latest iOS Betas... no luck there, either.

Hi thefranchise713,

I see that you reinstalled the software on the iPhone. Did you also set it up as a new device and try the USB before loading your backup?

Shaay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been restoring after DFU reloads off backups as it is too time consuming to rebuild all my settings from scratch. That being said if I have time this weekend I'll try to see clear to doing that.

Any other suggestions in the interim?

Back