iPhone USB only works 10-15 minutes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPhone USB only works 10-15 minutes

I've been restoring after DFU reloads off backups as it is too time consuming to rebuild all my settings from scratch. That being said if I have time this weekend I'll try to see clear to doing that.

Any other suggestions in the interim?
Maybe try a different USB port? I'm gonna try that in my Focus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both ports = same reaction.

Both ports = same reaction.
just thought about this haven't tried it. I've been starting the app by hitting the app icon in SYNC, do you start this way or start on your phone first?

So today I nuked the entire phone and started from scratch.

As before, it's most unreliable when AppLink (for me, via Spotify) comes into play. "Normal" USB connectivity seems better, though.

For now I will have to use CarPlay if I want functionality and interaction with my applications. Which is really terrible, because it locks out factory navigation.

just thought about this haven't tried it. I've been starting the app by hitting the app icon in SYNC, do you start this way or start on your phone first?

I have USB Autoplay disabled, so I always have to get it going by using the Sync 3 screen.

I've had my Explorer for a week now, and have been having similar problems.

Sometimes the USB connects just fine, sometimes it plays for a couple minutes then stops, and sometimes it doesn't recognize the phone all together. Sometimes a phone reset does the trick, and sometimes it doesn't. So far, I haven't been able to find a pattern of any kind, so it's kind of a roll of the dice every time I get in the car (iPhone 6 10.0.2, by the way).

You would think that reliably playing music via a USB input would be a top priority of a new system, but apparently not.

It's worked flawlessly if I use CarPlay.

Otherwise, even with 10.1 final, I have nothing but problems. Sigh.

Just had my focus in for service and they upgraded to SYNC3 v1.1. Played Pandora for 30 minutes no problems, yet. I'm on iOS 10.1.1 iPhone 6s. I'll know more tomorrow after commute to and from work. Wondering if v1.1 for vehicles without Car Play is newer than v2.0? I know 2 comes after 1, but it's ford.

Might be.

Sync 2.0 vehicles = CarPlay.

I have been having better luck in our Focus, too. Like you, it's on a 1.x.

If you have access to a USB 2.0 Type A Female to Mini B 5pin Female Adapter pop out your USB hub and attach this to the cable coming from the APIM and then your lightning cord to it and see if you still have issues.

^ Don't have one handy.

Still having issues even with 10.1.1. I'd think it were my USB connection if CarPlay didn't work flawlessly.

I miss MyFord Touch. Never thought I'd say that.

Non-update, problems are still happening. Right now, I can't even get Mobile Apps to update--just spins off into space and never completes.

I've reset the phone, the system, everything. Not looking forward to the dealer runaround nor an APIM replacement, but it seems like that's where we are headed despite this feeling more like a software than a hardware issue. Everything else, including CarPlay, works fine.

Still struggling with this. USB barely ever works at all now, even after a new USB hub thrown in the car last week by the dealer.

Tried six different lightning cables with the same result. If I fall back to CarPlay, life is a dream, but if I use native USB and AppLink, all chaos breaks loose.

Well, guess what, problem SOLVED. Finally.

@jmr061, hero that he continues to be in my automotive life, got me hooked up with Sync 3's latest upgrade to 2.2. Every issue fixed. AppLink? Fixed. USB usage? Completely stable. Everything with AppLink is even faster than when it was fully working to begin with.

So, great shoutout to Ford on this one--for making this far more difficult than it had to be.

I pinged the IVT team on this forum, they didn't have much to offer. Called IVT team on the phone? Not much help there either. Went to my dealer, my technician takes a shot in the dark based on research and experience of others, replaces the hub. That doesn't work.

Could anyone just say, "oh, wait until the next update in a month, you'll be fine?"

Nope. Not a one. So, i'm glad this works again. But it pisses me off that it took this long to get here, nobody could call it out to be a software problem when I asked, nor could anyone say that an update was on the way.

Sorry to be angry, but this ball was dropped so many times by Ford CS it isn't even funny. And it really dampens the entire experience of the car when you're fighting the technology more than you are enjoying it.

Well, guess what, problem SOLVED. Finally.

@jmr061, hero that he continues to be in my automotive life, got me hooked up with Sync 3's latest upgrade to 2.2. Every issue fixed. AppLink? Fixed. USB usage? Completely stable. Everything with AppLink is even faster than when it was fully working to begin with.

So, great shoutout to Ford on this one--for making this far more difficult than it had to be.

I pinged the IVT team on this forum, they didn't have much to offer. Called IVT team on the phone? Not much help there either. Went to my dealer, my technician takes a shot in the dark based on research and experience of others, replaces the hub. That doesn't work.

Could anyone just say, "oh, wait until the next update in a month, you'll be fine?"

Nope. Not a one. So, i'm glad this works again. But it pisses me off that it took this long to get here, nobody could call it out to be a software problem when I asked, nor could anyone say that an update was on the way.

Sorry to be angry, but this ball was dropped so many times by Ford CS it isn't even funny. And it really dampens the entire experience of the car when you're fighting the technology more than you are enjoying it.

Hopefully you don't get the iPhone ringer full blast issue after you disconnect.

Thanks for reminding me, I will see if that stupid bug still exists tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me, I will see if that stupid bug still exists tomorrow.
Trying to figure out what causes it. I don't always get it. Seems to be after disconnect.

Usually goes on blast with the initial connection, unless you use CarPlay.

I rarely get calls while driving, but it hasn't blasted on the few I got the recently. But after leaving the car and sitting in my office and scaring the crap out of me. But it doesn't always do it. I don't have CarPlay.

Sync 3 v2.2? I'm on v2.0 and it says I have the latest version according to owner.ford.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With MFT there was a screen you could go to and see which software version you had loaded. Is there a similar option with Sync 3? I've tried going to various screens but haven't found it if there is one.

Peter

Back