• Register Today It's free!

IRS swap?

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
I'm pretty new to the world of explorers.
I'm wondering if the IRS from a 2002 will bolt into a 99 without any welding/cutting etc.

much the same as an 03 mustang cobra IRS will bolt directly into any '79 - 2004 mustang.

I'm also wondering about the general chassis. is an interior swap a possibility? are the dash mounting positions the same? are the doors the same shape? etc etc.

Also is there any transmission out there better than the 5r55e for these things?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, IRS will require huge amounts modification. The frames are very different at the back.
The interiors also share just about nothing that will directly plug and bolt up.
Pretty much nothing from 02'+ 4dr Explorers are directly backward compatible 01' and older.

So it was a legitimate redesign. Not just a sheetmetal change. Bummer.

I have a completely rust free 99 Eddie Bauer...but the transmission sucks and the rear suspension is saggy and the seats while in decent shape are kinda lame. and i don't love the interior...and i'm something of a hobbyist so i like changing ****.

+ i can get a 4.6 explorer with the irs that was wrecked dirt cheap.

Unless you're building a street truck you dont want IRS anyways.
Do some searching on here, lots of info on what will swap in, how to rebuild the transmission, and fix the saggy butt.
Good luck and have fun with it

It is pretty much going to be a street truck. maybe some light trail driving. definitely nothing serious. I'll stick with the SRA i just like the stability of the IRS.

Back