Is 0W-40 good for my 97 5.0 awd explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is 0W-40 good for my 97 5.0 awd explorer?

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
I wish to try Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 5.0 awd. I have used it on many of my other cars, including maxlife, redline, and Amsoil to name a few. However, interms of shearing, could I get by with 0w-40? 99% of my daily commute is hwy mileage (120 miles per a day). I have been using Pennzoil Platinum for all of my vehicles, its good oil, but shearing, regarding my 5.0, are these engines truly hard on oil? Or could I get away with PP in 10w-30? I am thinking my gas mileage will be horrible too, or would it really, what say you? Thanks!!!!

I wish to try Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 5.0 awd. I have used it on many of my other cars, including maxlife, redline, and Amsoil to name a few. However, interms of shearing, could I get by with 0w-40? 99% of my daily commute is hwy mileage (120 miles per a day). I have been using Pennzoil Platinum for all of my vehicles, its good oil, but shearing, regarding my 5.0, are these engines truly hard on oil? Or could I get away with PP in 10w-30? I am thinking my gas mileage will be horrible too, or would it really, what say you? Thanks!!!!

93EB, check out the bobistheoilguy.com website. It'll keep you reading
for hours and hours about all kinds of automotive lubricants.

93EB, check out the bobistheoilguy.com website. It'll keep you reading
for hours and hours about all kinds of automotive lubricants.
Thanks, I have been a member on that website for quite sometime now! And your absolutely right, it is very interesting!

Back