Is $650 a good deal for this Explorer? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is $650 a good deal for this Explorer?

It will be clearly stamped on the intake if it's a 5.0 or 4.0. I'd suggest you figure out which it is as they're two entirely different transmissions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sooo, based off of koda and the engine, it is a 4.0 V6. Going to U pull and pay in about 12 hours (tomorrow). THere are about 7 exact model trim and year explorers as mine @ the JY. Is there a specific one I should get? Good thing the JY lets you return items with a full refund in 30 days time.

Sooo, based off of koda and the engine, it is a 4.0 V6. Going to U pull and pay in about 12 hours (tomorrow). THere are about 7 exact model trim and year explorers as mine @ the JY. Is there a specific one I should get? Good thing the JY lets you return items with a full refund in 30 days time.

Not sure what your question is. Are you going to buy an entire truck at the JY?

^^well, got a transmission. It was off of a 1998 Ford explorer 4x4 4.0, identical to mine except that this one was a two door. Looks to have very low miles as well (odometer was ripped out of Explorer). Spent a happy $328.25 at the JY on every little thing the Explorer needs besides the front bumper, grille support, and a couple smaller things. Already have the smashed rear bumper off and the mint JY bumper on. Enjoting this...took us (me and my Dad) about 1/12 to 2 hours to remove the tranny. The engine on the JY one was gone so it was easy.

Will the tranny fit on my 96? The JY one came off of a 98. The specifications said the transmissions on the V6 Explorers 97 and up were 5R44E or something like that. The one on my Explorer, if it is the OEM that is, is a 4R44E. Is the 5 compatible? If not, I'll sell the tranny from the JY and lose an option...any help would be appreciated.

cool. sounds like your on your way.

Is that a yes? ^^^ :)
Thanks for the help, i cannot tell you guys how much I appreciate your help!

No fair man, good find. Where is this?

It was kind of a steel, it was my friends from school and he didnt know what he had, and didnt have the money to work on it. so ive just been bringing her back to life ever since :D:D

^^well, got a transmission. It was off of a 1998 Ford explorer 4x4 4.0, identical to mine except that this one was a two door. Looks to have very low miles as well (odometer was ripped out of Explorer). Spent a happy $328.25 at the JY on every little thing the Explorer needs besides the front bumper, grille support, and a couple smaller things. Already have the smashed rear bumper off and the mint JY bumper on. Enjoting this...took us (me and my Dad) about 1/12 to 2 hours to remove the tranny. The engine on the JY one was gone so it was easy.

I am no transmission expert, but based on readings here you may have some sensor issues going from a 4R44E to a 5R55E. Also, you said that you took the new tranny out of a "two door" - I think I have seen here that the tailshafts are different lenghts because the two-doors are shorter that the four-doors.

I think that there is a transmission sub-forum here you might check in with. Good luck.

Back