Is a 2' add a leaf susp lift ok w/ 2" body lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a 2' add a leaf susp lift ok w/ 2" body lift?

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
Hi people,
I got a 2" susp lift for my 93 4-door 4.0 litre man. trans. Explorer 4x4 just to get over those humps on the access roads around my family cabin. Now I thought it would be nifty to get just a little body lift (2"). I looked at 4wheel parts.com and they said they won`t sell a body lift to someone who has or is getting any kind of suspension lift.
Am I missing something here? Is this a dangerous modification? will it work with the 2" that is already there?
I realize it won`t allow me to mount a tire bigger than 31 inch tires without more mods so it would only be for looks, but I want it darn it!

So what do you think? Scrap the 2" susp. lift in favor of a 3 or 4" one? Go for the body lift anyway? Forget about it, and always wish for more?

Thanks in advance!

-Jim from BC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can put a 32 on with 2" lift.. at least many folks can. lots of folks run the 265/75r16s with a 1.5"-2" budget boost and that is like 31.8" overall.

either way.. i don't know why the body lift won't be sold with a susp lift. lots of folks run both

Thanks Jason,
I didn`t know I could fit 32`s on there. I reckon it would have to be 32x10.5.(?)
I`ll ask the tire dudes to try 32`s and see if they`ll work w/out scraping and such. I want the body lift, but have this irrational fear of flippin`(lol) Or being in unneccessary danger! I get myself deep enough!
I`ll leave my query out here for a bit before deciding.
Thanks people!

-Jim from BC

My fear of rolling over left me a long time ago.

My opinion is to stay away from the body lifts, if you can.

If the money is there go with a lift something like the 5" SuperLift System, adding the SuperLift Longer Radius Arns and the Steering System in there too.

You will be able to run 33s when and if you want to or you can run 32s with more room for articulation.

Good Luck, do what you can,

Go for it!:bounce:
I had an older Ranger with a 4" suspension AND a 3"body lift. The frontends should be similiar...Twin Beam? I stuffed a V-8 in it and it still handled great.

My '98 Exp Sport has the 2" Torsion lift and a 3" body lift and handles BETTER than it did stock!

I think the companies are trying to protect themselves by not selling the suspension and body lifts together. The body lifts have a warning from the mfg. to not use in conjunction with a suspension lift. Since everyone is trying to get rich the old fashioned way, by sueing the pants off someone, I think they are just trying to protect their ASSets! You can't blame them.

My experiences with using both lifts together have been good ones. Just remember that your vehicle is lifted and drive with your head and not just your foot!

It should look good when you're done!

I have a 3" body lift and I am adding the 2 1/2" Rancho suspension lift with Warrior shackles to boot. It drove good with the body lift. It handled squirrely with just the rear end raised up. I will let you know after the shop gets my front end done (I tackled the body lift and the rear, but the front intimidated me just a bit because I don't have any helpers).

they wont sell them together for the fact of liability issues... i run 5.5"superlift and pa 3" body lift. and 35's.... with the 2 & 2 you could run a 33 12x50 i would think with very little trimming. if you run them on the stock 7 inch wheel and maybe pick up a set of wheel spacers... i think you would be ok.... tryo ordering for natltire.com just dont tell them you allready have a lift.

Thanks for the replies!

Nice ride 94EBexplorer! Where`d you get those fender flares? I assume there was some trimming under there too, or you wouldn`t have mentioned it.
I think I`ll get the body lift. I would go higher than 2" but I still want to park in my underground parking. It will be close after the tires plus both lifts (hee hee).

-TIRE SPACERS-
I heard they put alot of strain on things, especially the front hubs. Anyone notice a problem? I`ve never talked to someone with them, so All I have to go on is the tire store dude by my house. (he seems a bit conservative) I`m not gunna be doin crash and bash stuff, slow and easy is more my style.
I can afford repairs, but don`t enjoy a pain in the butt like constant probs.
It`s funny though, I`m shopping for a new set of 31 inch tires and darn it, I would like bigger, I guess it never ends with a lot of people. Hmmm, maybe a wee bit of spacing and some 32`s?

-Jim from BC

with 3 inch body lift you should be able to get 32's under there... you might have to do some trimming... and you might rub a but under flex... but you can also find somewhere that sells 1/4 wheel spacers that might help with the rubbing a tad... i ran a 3" body lift and 31's and had wheel spacers... gives it a little bit more of a stance

Back