Is a BW 4405 from '99 Explorer compatible in a '97 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a BW 4405 from '99 Explorer compatible in a '97 Explorer?

kidakat

Reaction score
City, State
Whitney Point, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
First I'd like to say that I really appreciate the level of support this community puts forth to support eachother. I can usually find the answers to my questions here by reading other posts, but this one is pretty specific.

I am in need of a Borg Warner 4405 transfer case for my 1997 Explorer Sport (V6 OHV - 5 speed manual). I've located one from an Explorer of the identical type and motor, but it's a 1999.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can use this newer transfer case in my '97?

I've recorded the following numbers from my 1997:
4405-08
F77A-GA

These are the similar numbers from the 1999 unit:
4405-12
XL24-CA

The drive shaft configuration looks the same as far as I can tell, but it sounds like there may be a difference in the sensors or something like that...

If I can't use this, can anyone tell me which Model/Year vehicles are likely to have the right one (besides a 1997 Explorer)?

thanks for any info you have to share,

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 97 has the speed sensor on the transfer case. 98 and up the signal is picked up from the rear ABS sensor.

1995-1997 should be the same.

Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

Do you know of I can use the T-case from '95 thru '97 Rangers in my '97 Explorer?

One more question:
The T-case on my '97 is staying in 4H (won't automatically switch to 2wd) and I have the issue with the slipping/grinding when coasting down hill in gear. To get by in the mean time, while I search for a replacement T-case, do you know if I can safely pull the front drive shaft to make it more driveable (without the front end clunking and groaning while driving on dry pavement)?

thanks again,

Aaron

transfer case crazy

97 Explorer sport apparently has 2 different transfer cases. They are both 4405 but one ends with CA the other ends with GA. Are these compatible?

I have the same questions. Mines a “GA”.
Awd/4hi/4lo. Would like to swap to a 2wd/4hi/4lo. Without swapping the shift motor out. Any ideas?

The ga means it has the double cardon front driveline.

I'm going to guess you have a 97. That year is when Ford changed the front axle and the transfer case, mid year. So the 97 has two set ups, depending on the build date.

The transfer case was changed to a ca, which uses a CV front driveline. They also stopped using a vss gear in it.

The front axles in the 95 & 96 are a cad, or central axle disconnect.

97 up use a live front axle. This change is why the 4405 control trac is now an awd. Well, sort of awd. The front axle gets a little power sent to it constantly, and increases as the abs detects wheel spin.

To change the system like your wanting, will require you to swap all the parts from a 95 or 96. This includes the front differential axle unit, all its vacuum components, and its electrical items. Can be done, but not the easy solution your looking for.

Another option, is to swap in a 1354 manual transfer case. Much more simple, and much more reliable.

Thanks. Yes it is a 97. Been hitting the forums on this but so much info is misleading or vague. This 97 is a manual transmission 4.0 ohv. I’ve already swapped out both axels with 4:10s. May have to put a manual tcase in it. So getting a 96 4405 ca tcase and it’s front driveline won’t work?? I’ve seen that on here somewhere.

I went back over what you said and now I understand better, cad front axle. Guess I’m stuck shoving the original 4405 back in for now. Lol

When looking for a replacement tc for my 96 this is the info I found.

Make sure you check compatibility for your BW4405 transfer case: for 4X4 models 4.0 SOHC/4.0 OHV,
Borg Warner 4405 t/c

1995-1996- Use the same transfer case. Have the speed sensor in the transfer case. Use the same drive shaft. 4 bolt

1997- Contains the speed sensor in the transfer case like the 95-96. Use a different drive shaft. To use a 95-96 Transfer case in 97 you would also need to get the drive shaft from that vehicle.

1998-2001- Does not contain a speed sensor in the transfer case. Uses the same drive shaft as the 97. Speed sensor is in the rear axle so therefore you need to use the 1998-2001 Transfer Case but maybe able to get away with using the 1997 case.

Can use later cases if you swap the case half with speed sensor in it.

Back