• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Is a Dana 44HD from a '77 as good/strong as one from a '78-79? Found one cheap.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Here's the double beadlocks I'm hoping to get but they might be gone before I can get the funds together, six of these for $1k.

3K43F43H35Ne5I35M8d225a071d37303d189c.jpg

Patrick, I would feel more comfortable doing the trails at Raushe Creek with a solid axle over the IFS. Once I get it installed and get my gas tank skid plate done I'll be more then willing to go out there for a trail run.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok, good to know. thanks.

YoungMounty

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mounty 5.0 V8 AWD
Looks like you lucked out with that one Midnight! Very nice. Mine has been slow going :(

What are your thoughts on the springs? Are the current ones gonna be kept? Upgraded? Switched?

SOA?

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
Oh I meant that we should go after you get your swap done.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Mounty, for the front I plan on using the stock 7 pack leafsprings, might have to add one to the driverside to compensate for the Ranger lean and it will be SOA in front and rear. for the rear I'll be making my own leafspring packs out of the original set and the replacement set like this...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372601

OffTrac

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Congrats on a nice purchase. This forum is suddenly getting a lot more interesting.