Is a heated windshield available on the 2020+ explorers and if so what trim level? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a heated windshield available on the 2020+ explorers and if so what trim level?

I bleed Ford Blue

Reaction score
City, State
North Olmsted
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
While having my windshield replaced today, the new one that was installed has the heating element embedded and has a pigtail to plug it in. Problem is my ST does not have that option. When the tech installed it he told me that the plug is behind the battery. I was wondering what trim had that option and if I can enable it? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the element is located at the bottom of the windshield, it is to de-ice the wipers when remote start is used in cold temperatures.
The feature was deleted on 2021+ Explorers.

Peter

Well now that I have the element in the windshield, how hard would it be to get it enabled?

I don't know if that is something FORScan can do or not. The de-icer apparently only turns on under a certain temperature when remote start is used and then eventually turns OFF so I'm guessing there is some sort of controller/module involved as well.

Peter

Before I go thru all that, I need to pull the battery out and see if the harness connector is there, otherwise it's pointless.

While having my windshield replaced today, the new one that was installed has the heating element embedded and has a pigtail to plug it in. Problem is my ST does not have that option. When the tech installed it he told me that the plug is behind the battery. I was wondering what trim had that option and if I can enable it? Any ideas?

I din't see a heated windshield option when I bought my 2020 Explorer LTD.

While having my windshield replaced today, the new one that was installed has the heating element embedded and has a pigtail to plug it in. Problem is my ST does not have that option. When the tech installed it he told me that the plug is behind the battery. I was wondering what trim had that option and if I can enable it? Any ideas? I din't see a heated windshield option when I bought my 2020 Explorer LTD.
Your post is almost identical to the OP's first post and the replies would be the same except the one saying it was deleted on the 2021+ models. Perhaps only some 2020 trims had it. According to the 2020 Order Guide, windshield Wiper De-Icer was part of the Cold Weather Package.

Peter

I think he meant to quote my post and comment that his 2020 limited did not have it, and he posted it in the wrong spot.

All fixed up. Thank you.

Peter

I think that is what he was trying to do but slipped up. All is good :thumbsup:

My 2020 Ford Explorer Limited has the heated windshield a.k.a.
Windshield wiper - De-icer.

7CB9AD58-9566-4A35-823F-7909F36BFA99.jpeg

Based on your post, that leads me to believe that all I need to do is plug in the pigtail and it should work with the rear defroster and heated mirrors. Now I need to find the harness connector if its still there on the 21's

Based on your post, that leads me to believe that all I need to do is plug in the pigtail and it should work with the rear defroster and heated mirrors. Now I need to find the harness connector if its still there on the 21's

That's what I would do, see if it's like the rear defrost elements, and connect it to the defrost switch. I'd love that for any car I own, that's better than a heated seat. :)

I don't know if that is something FORScan can do or not.

Peter
You were right it is in forscan. I was playing in forscan today and found it under the HVAC module listed as heated windshield. It was off and I turned it on while I was in there. Now I just need to find the connector behind the battery to plug it in and it should work.

I have the latest release of forscan 2.3.46

You were right it is in forscan. I was playing in forscan today and found it under the HVAC module listed as heated windshield. It was off and I turned it on while I was in there. Now I just need to find the connector behind the battery to plug it in and it should work.

I have the latest release of forscan 2.3.46

If you get this to work start a thread with the full process and I'll set you up with an Elite membership:chug:

If I find the connector plug behind the battery, I'll get few pics. But adding this option is very cost prohibitive if you don't have it already. I got lucky when they replaced my windshield. But once you get the correct glass, it's just a matter of turning it on thru forscan and plugging it in.

My 2020 Platinum has is it, I had the windshield replaced and the installer made sure it was on the new windshield. I requested an OEM windshield when I had it replaced.

TBill

If I find the connector plug behind the battery, I'll get few pics. But adding this option is very cost prohibitive if you don't have it already. I got lucky when they replaced my windshield. But once you get the correct glass, it's just a matter of turning it on thru forscan and plugging it in.
Did u see the connector? , i just got a new windshield and might be in the same boat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well today I pulled out the battery and battery tray and the other connector to plug in the windshield pigtail is not there. It seems when ford deleted the heated windshield, they also deleted the harness. So there is no practical way to get it working. Good news is there is a little nipple above the main harness bulkhead grommet where you can punch your way thru and make your own heating circuit.
***See Red Circle***
20220305_121856[1].jpg

Maybe later this summer before winter comes again I'll come up with something with a timer or an auto shut off and make my own circuit. But for now I'm not worried, the weather is getting warmer so the heated windshield is not needed right now.

Back