Is an 5.0 awd explorer a nice suv

Firefighter538

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 V8 AWD
Hey
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0l V8 AWD. Is that a nice vehicle to ovn or should i just get somethin else :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all depends on what you think. I have a 1997 5.0 awd and I love it!

BUT! I am always changing my trucks around.

SO! I have an axle out of a 1966-67 ford bronco that I have regear and put disc brakes on and am getting ready to do a suspension lift and the straight axle conversion to

also just picked up a body lift for it too!

so if you like it as is you do have a nice ride if it is in good shape. a lot of the jeep guys would love to have your rear axle for their jeeps, the v-8's are sought after by anyone who needs one so all in all you have a nice ride if everything works well

Let me just say that my 5.0 awd has 250k miles on it and i can see myself driving it ten years from now. I would rather cut of my little finger than sell my 5.0. Its a great car, just sayin.

Welcome To Explorer Forum!

The V8 Explorer is a good truck to have, an engine design that has been around for a long time, plenty aftermarket if you're into that and the transmission is considerably stronger than the 4R55E/5R55E that come behind the V6.

The 5.0 powers what many consider to be the best, most rock solid engine/drivetrain combo in any Explorer in the venerable breed's 20 year run.

I concur. :D

(I bought into the "hype" 5 years ago and no regrets)

Ad set of Torque Monster Headers and an intake spacer and you will really fall in love with your Explorer. :)

I guess you could get something else and give that old ex to me:D

:thumbdwn:The truck is just awful so drop it off in my driveway with the keys and title and never look back.

I had a '98 5.0 XLT AWD and when it was time to replace it because I needed more seating there was nothing about it that told me I should not buy another Explorer. On a private sale I even got full Kelly Blue Book price for it.:thumbsup:

5.0 with AWD

I have had a number of Explorers but my favorite was a 2000 EB with a 5 litre and all the bells and whistles. I would recommend one to anybody. The engine is great and the AWD beats 4WD in my book.

welcome

I just bought a 96 5.0 Limited and all I can say is wow.

160k miles, runs like new. Hold onto this SUV. You'd regret it if you didn't!

What a pile of nicely thrown together parts! Can't wait to get my solid axle conversion done!

Back