Is an External Fuel Pump Conversion Possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is an External Fuel Pump Conversion Possible?

Janu93

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
I have a 1993 Ford Explorer I'm trying to revive. The fuel pump is dead and needs to be replaced. It seems this is a common issue with the first gens. I have spent the last couple of days going through the forums here. I have found some really good stuff. But I haven't found anything about an external fuel pump conversion. If this is an item that has to be replaced often. It seems like an external conversion would be the way to go. that way you wouldn't have to drop the fuel tank to replace it. Has anyone seen any info on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer I'm trying to revive. The fuel pump is dead and needs to be replaced. It seems this is a common issue with the first gens. I have spent the last couple of days going through the forums here. I have found some really good stuff. But I haven't found anything about an external fuel pump conversion. If this is an item that has to be replaced often. It seems like an external conversion would be the way to go. that way you wouldn't have to drop the fuel tank to replace it. Has anyone seen any info on this?

What makes you think its a part that has to be replaced often? How long do you want it to last? Yours is almost 20 years old!

Fuel filter maintenance?

I suspect that fuel pumps fail early because many members don't replace the fuel filter at the suggested interval - 30,000 miles. Even so, the pump usually lasts at least 10 years - longer than most people keep a vehicle. Cheap replacement pumps of inferior quality may not last very long.

To use an extenal fuel pump it will have to be self priming for the lift associated with the selected pump location. Many external pumps are designed to assist the functional pump in the tank. They are not designed to work as the only pump. In my opinion, the best course of action is just to replace your failed stock pump with a quality replacement pump.

The original one lasted approximately 235,078. That's not to bad. What threw me was reading on this forum where some members had changed fuel pumps several times within a year period. So, from that, I'm gathering the airtex fuel pump is a bad deal.

I see the point in the external fuel pump not being a good idea. So, I'll skip that.

The mod for cutting the back seat does seem like a good idea. that would cut down install time greatly. I imagine I will go ahead and drop the tank the first time. just so I'll have a chance to try and clean out the tank.

I guess my next question is about Rock Auto. Are they a pretty descent place to buy from? I have never bought anything from them. They are much cheaper than Summit Racing on the fuel pump anyway.

Airtex makes ok pumps. What kills fuel pumps is overheating and running low on fuel. You also don't know what people are installing, the ones that are failing early might be installing cheap discount parts.

The access panel makes it easy to replace in some ways, but I prefer dropping the tank since I think it's a good idea to clean off the crud about as often as the fuel pump would need to be changed. Dropping the tank is a good time to clean up the left frame rail and take care of any spots on the underbody that need attention, or other things that require dropping the tank like a body lift to get to that one mount. The factory pump is also typically rusted solid and so removing the tank makes it that much easier to clean up and less likely to wind up dropping rusty pieces or dust in the tank when taking off the ring and prying off the pump and seal.

Rockauto is a great place to get parts from. I bought lots from them, and even when I've had a problem they've taken care of it. I bought my fuel pump from NAPA though, as they offered a stainless assembly with the pump for ~$100. I think it's the same as the Carter that rockauto has for $96. It's been a great pump so far and was definitely an upgrade from the factory pump that was still doing the job but getting weaker after 200,000 miles.

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to stop over at NAPA and just get it from them and be done with it.

The explorer has been sitting for about 5 years.. My daughter decided she wanted to restore it back to roadworthy condition as her first vehicle.

So far it seems to be coming along pretty good.
Almost to good.

Back