Is anyone satisfied with their sport? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is anyone satisfied with their sport?

S1000RR...... You have to become used to the herd mentality on forums. We all become guilty of it from time to time. I've been on some motorcycle forums that I couldn't stand, just constant complaining. Forums are a very small representation of a product. If you go to the section on modifying our Ex's, the information is great. How to do just about anything you could want to do. Everyone is very knowledgable and the Explorers look incredible. I just joined the forum about a week ago and the info I've gotten will help me with modifying my sport, which I pick up Thursday. I guess what I'm saying is, just pass over threads that don't interest you and understand some people complain a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's funny. I post on a Saab forum for the 2002-2005 Saab 9-5. These cars were and are far less reliable the the current Ex, and more expensive in parts as a foreign car.

As an older model, needless to say you have more expensive things starting to happen like turbo going, head gasket going, etc.

Nobody really complains on this Saab forum. They just look for the best, most cost effective and efficient way to fix it and go at it. There are lot of posters who post detailed pics and instructions of how to do just about every type of repair.

I have saved thousands ordering up certain parts aftermarket were you can get away with it, while sticking to far more expensive OEM where needed like a new DIC and have done repairs myself. Kind of like a hobby - where you save money.

Have replaced the alternator, thermostat, coolant bypass valve, turbo bypass valve, vacuum lines, water pump, DIC on my own. Saved numerous thousands over the past 7 years. Now, it helps I have two cars handy so I can take my time fixing one. All self-taught from the detailed instructions on the Saab forums. Was not into the mechanics of cars before that, though I was also handy fixing up my house.

I figure I will have the CPS and fuel pump in the near future. These are all things that go on the 9-5 within 8 years of ownership and not many people complain. It's a very DIY forum.

Different mindset with a newer model car where I think people expect close to perfection. And any make of vehicle will have lemons.

On my Ex I have had the roof water leak fixed under warranty (first time - got lucky) and fixed the second row seat rattling myself from advice here. This on a used 2011 I bought several months ago. Otherwise no probs - though I wish the gas mileage was better. Not bad for a three year old car. The MFT is fine with the new update and the Ex gets strong reviews on engine/drivetrain.

Fit and finish seem to be the biggest probs, but I'm not encountering much along the lines of some of the things I have read. Might just be who was working what assembly line at the time.

Only 1200 miles on my Sport so far, but I am enjoying it. Two issues I have so far are how the black accents on the pillars swirl so easily and if you are utilizing the paddle shifters, when you are redlining in first and hit the paddle to switch to second, it double-shifts/skips 2nd and puts you into third gear. Kind of annoying, defeats the purpose of having the paddle shift. Besides that, the Sport is great.. it handles like it's on rails in the corners, has plenty of power, it has great looks, and gets plenty of compliments.

I bought it brand new and in less than a day a belt went, probably because they didn't do a PDI on it though. They fixed it and it's fine.
Although the instrument cluster will randomly shut off while I'm driving it. Shuts off for a couple seconds then comes back on (like a reboot). I took it in twice. The first time, at Metro Ford Calgary, they said no codes were coming up and they couldn't find anything on the forums about it, then they tried to charge me for them looking at it. I refused to pay and then they said whoops we didn't mean to charge you for it.
I took it to a dealership in Fort Sask and they replaced the entire cluster but that didn't solve the problem either. I THINK it mostly happens when there is some sort of moisture around. Either after a car wash or if it's raining out but I'm not 100% sure on that.
I will be taking it in again soon to see if it can be fixed.
Also the paint seems extremely weak. Anything touches it and it chips. One area of the front wasn't painted right and i'm pretty sure I could chip the paint off with my fingernail.

Couldn't be happier.

Kevin

I'm coming up on 3000 miles with my 14 Sport. Only minor issues. The trim on the bottom of the back passenger doors is not sitting right and the wheels are marked up. I have polished some out but will need more time to make them look good. My only disappointments are the headlights and side mirror defrost. REALLY? On a 50k vehicle. Good is I average an indicated 20+ mpg.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new (yesterday) to the forum, but, so far, I love my Sport! I traded a 2010 SHO, and, although I thought I'd never get rid of the SHO, am very, very happy with the Sport. Are there a few nits here and there, sure, and, I guess for nearly $50K, it should be perfect, but its not the car's fault, it is Ford's. As I said in my initial post, why is it that the so called "top" Explorer not have "stuff" available on the Limited, which, in my opinion, is not as good as the Sport. While, as I said before, I don't miss the automatic high beams and windshield wipers, why shouldn't HID's be available together with Active Park Assist? Just my opinion. Do I need them, no, although, I miss the HID's. I also miss my massage seats, but, oh well!

Is the gas mileage great, no, but this vehicle is close to 5,000 pounds, and I'm only a couple mpg's short of my SHO which had to run on 93 octane. Oh, did I say, I love the ride of the Explorer. . .never in all my years (I'm collecting full SSI), have I had such a great road cruiser, and I've owned many. This vehicle is great! I only have 2600 miles on it, so it's a baby, but I'll have more opinions down the road.

Questions, HID vs. Silverlight Ultra's, or keep halogens since I have a parking garage at work? What about the lousy Hankook tires. Should they be replace with the Yokahama's for most of the year with Blizzak's for winter? I have a set of 18" rims for new winter tires, courtesy of my SHO. Should the winter tires be 235/65r18 or 245/60r18? The former is exact, according to my calculator, but Ford says the later.

I'm looking forward to many, many great miles with the Explorer. I'm fortunate to have several cars, but this one is super!

Phil

Where do you live? I have not heard good things about the Hankooks, but a solid pair of all-seasons on 20's should be fine for the winter and driving in snow unless you are in a place that gets so cold you truly need winter tires and their tread compound for traction on really cold pavement.

I know the tire manufacturers recommend winter tires for below 42F, but I don't buy it. We had a ton of 15F in Philly this year and everybody I know has all-season and nobody had problems. Heck, I didn't have problems with real low profile high performance all-seasons on my Saab in 15F on clear roads, though they wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. That's what the Ex is for ;)

Where do you live? I have not heard good things about the Hankooks, but a solid pair of all-seasons on 20's should be fine for the winter and driving in snow unless you are in a place that gets so cold you truly need winter tires and their tread compound for traction on really cold pavement.

I know the tire manufacturers recommend winter tires for below 42F, but I don't buy it. We had a ton of 15F in Philly this year and everybody I know has all-season and nobody had problems. Heck, I didn't have problems with real low profile high performance all-seasons on my Saab in 15F on clear roads, though they wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. That's what the Ex is for ;)
It isn't just tire manufacturers that recommend Winter tire use. Most car show programs I watch also say the same thing. Many insurance companies give discounts for using 4 Winter tires. Mine gives 5% off the yearly premium. The province of Quebec has made them mandatory. Tests have shown stopping distances can be reduced by up to 30% with Winter tires.

Peter

It isn't just tire manufacturers that recommend Winter tire use. Most car show programs I watch also say the same thing. Many insurance companies give discounts for using 4 Winter tires. Mine gives 5% off the yearly premium. The province of Quebec has made them mandatory. Tests have shown stopping distances can be reduced by up to 30% with Winter tires.

Peter

And who buys ad time from the cars shows - tire manufacturers? That's why I asked where the poster lived. Your climate in K-bec is different than mine - even though we did have a very cold winter.

I agree there is a need for winter tires when cold enough. Absolutely don't buy the 42F most tire makes recommend to sell more tires. Where exactly the temp should be, I don't know. I do know in Pennsylvania where I live there is no state law for winter tires and I get no insurance discount.

We live in the snow belt of upstate New York. I've had dedicated snows on most of my cars. I have 18" rims, for snows, from my SHO that I can use. The tires are one size too small, however, and already have five winters on them.

Phil

We live in the snow belt of upstate New York. I've had dedicated snows on most of my cars. I have 18" rims, for snows, from my SHO that I can use. The tires are one size too small, however, and already have five winters on them.

Phil

Since you have the rims for winter, that helps, but I think you can probably get away with 20's on good all-seasons with good tires with the AWD in snow, but you may also want to protect the nice Sport rims from the salt and inclimate weather and go safe with winter/snow tires.

You should already know from being in the snow belt with the lake effect up there if you need dedicated winter tires for the cold. I spent two winters up there at my first college (Hobart in Geneva) before I transferred back to Philly and got along just fine in a 1976 rear wheel drive Chevy Nova with all-seasons, but only after the streets were plowed. Delivered pizza at night for two winters with no prob, but I was being young and foolhardy (and trying to save a dime) for not having winter/snow tires on a rear wheel drive car with that winter weather up there.

And who buys ad time from the cars shows - tire manufacturers? That's why I asked where the poster lived. Your climate in K-bec is different than mine - even though we did have a very cold winter.
.....Tire manufactures invest a lot of time and $$ in developing and testing Winter tires and it isn't just to sell tires. If you stop and think about it, using 2 sets of tires makes each set last longer so there isn't really much of a benefit to the manufacturer over and above the first set. I'm sure that tire manufacturers that buy "ad time" are probably more interested in selling performance and tires in general and their other products just as manufactures of other car related items do.
I'm not saying that you can't get through most Winters with all seasons. I've done it more than once in my younger years but that doesn't say it was a smart thing to do from a 'safety' standpoint. I'll be looking at getting a new 'Winter Package' for my MKT this Fall.

Peter

.....Tire manufactures invest a lot of time and $$ in developing and testing Winter tires and it isn't just to sell tires. If you stop and think about it, using 2 sets of tires makes each set last longer so there isn't really much of a benefit to the manufacturer over and above the first set. I'm sure that tire manufacturers that buy "ad time" are probably more interested in selling performance and tires in general and their other products just as manufactures of other car related items do.
I'm not saying that you can't get through most Winters with all seasons. I've done it more than once in my younger years but that doesn't say it was a smart thing to do from a 'safety' standpoint. I'll be looking at getting a new 'Winter Package' for my MKT this Fall.

Peter

Selling you 8 tires instead of 4 makes them twice as much money. While I can see the need in very cold climates, when they put the need for winter tires at 42F, I say they are just trying to sell more tires.

Will the tires really last twice as long? What if you buy a new vehicle with different sized wheels with a lot of life left on your existing two sets of tires that you trade in? If you expect to keep your vehicle for a long time but don't put many miles on it, the tires will probably go from dry rot long before they reach their mileage lifespan.

You have a point when you talk about trading/changing vehicles. I just did that and sold my Winters because they were on 17" rims. Had I used 18" ones, I would have been able to use them on my MKT. There are too many variables to say exactly when a tire should be replaced due to age. Regarding 'best before date', I did some Internet searching and most manufacturers say to replace them after 10 years. Inspect them beginning with the 5th year. In any case, everyone has their own opinion on the matter so we can debate this until we fill the server and it will go on and on. Take care.

Peter

Back