Is changing the trans fluid really important? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is changing the trans fluid really important?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So my sister is looking into an 02 XLS with 75 grand on the odometer. The original owner says he's never changed the trans fluid but the truck still shifts beautifully, Should I worry about this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my sister is looking into an 02 XLS with 75 grand on the odometer. The original owner says he's never changed the trans fluid but the truck still shifts beautifully, Should I worry about this?

I don't have the schedule numbers in front of me, but I'd say your average car/truck should have it's tranny fluid changed every 50-75k miles. It wouldn't really be something to scare me off of a vehicle. I would look at it as an almost 10y/o vehicle so your average is 7,500 miles per year which is about half the average use.

If you want the trans to last at all, absolutely yes, you have to change the fluid. I don't care what the maintenance schedule says. All my automatics get fluid changes at least every 30k miles.

i dont know about you guys...but when i buy a vehicle...the FRIST thing i do i take it down to my dealership to have every fluid changed...its expensive...but when i bought my firebird...the oil that was "just changed" came out ALMOST like syrup when i changed it...

100k is the scheduled maint. on the 3rd gen ex's. I have 89000 on an 04 never had the trans fluid changed, tow all the time and have not had a problem with it yet. The worst part about these is that is you can not check the tranny fluid since it is a sealed system.

Mine has 105k on it and it's factory fill. I bought it from a one owner. Shifts fine and looks fine. Why do I know how it looks, we were about to change it and the machine eas acting up, some came out, it looked good.

30-35k change interval for me, especially if it's a possible towing vehicle. On an '02 Ex with a fair number of transmission woe claims, I'd have it changed.

But could any damage have been done due to the neglect?

There is no 'neglect' as you put it. Ford says that the fluid is good for 100k. I wouldn't think twice about it. Like others have said though, when you get it, the BEST thing to do is change all of the fluids. That way you know EXACTLY what is in there, and how many miles are on them. Also change all of the filters too.

Ryan

If they say its good for 100K, why do they tell you to change it every 30k?

Changing the fluid is cheap insurance, better safe than sorry.

Hey guys...my wife's Ex is an 04 with the sealed tranny in it. A few years ago, I went to our dealer's Quick Lane for routine maintenance when I didn't have time for it...anyways, I asked them for a flush and fill on the tranny, and when I picked it up, they told me it was sealed and didn't need changing.

4 months later, I took it to the service dept for shifting problems, and when they pulled the tranny, they said the fluid was burned, the tranny fried, and I needed a new one...lucky for me, I had an extended warranty. When I told them about the Quicklane guys and the sealed tranny, they told me that service had the machine to flush and fill it, and it needed to be done regularly.

Guys, as much as I like Fords, I don't buy the marketing jargon about 100k mile only service. After that experience, I stick to the old way of doing things.

If that's what works for you that's good. I still have clean fluid at 105k

it's really more of how it's driven. we just rebuilt a 02 explorer trans with 185,000 miles on it.

It's considered a Sealed Unit.
So in the manual it says it doesn't need service until around 100k.

But I was having hesitation with my 04 mountaineer at ONLY 30k!!!!

Got the tranny flushed and its PERFECT now.....haven't had a problem yet.

I talked to the mercury dealership guy, and he said these things NEED tranny flushes pretty regularly, because apparently ANY hesitations or problems with trannys usually is linked directly to fluid clogs,etc.

I used to off-road with my SUV ALOT, exposed it to deep water and mud almost on a regular basis.
(not to mention the manual says ANY time you drive in water deep enough to touch the transmission or transfercase that the fluid should be changed)

But like the other guys said......getting a tranny flush CANT hurt anything.....assuming they do it right....haha

If i were you, i would DEFINATELY get a tranny flush.
You can get em done for $100-200

I would goto a ford/mercury dealer.
(i read the manual and these things are apparently tricky to flush and fill)

I haven't looked at my manual, but I thought it was every 30K? I am very surprised if it is at 100K.

When I take my vehicle in for 30K, 60K, 90K mile service, they do a tranny flush, coolant flush, oil change, and air filter.

actually if you ask ford, since it is a 'sealed' unit, it is "lifetime" flui. but we all know that is a raft of crap. also most transmissions have 100k service intervals

How much is the fluid change?

Is this the type of thing that only a Ford Dealership should do?

Here's the 30K, 60K, and 90K service requirements for 2002 Ford Explorer -

Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with AX4S,
4F50N, 4R100, 4F27E. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level on all other
vehicles, if equipped with dipstick. Consult your dealer for your particular
requirements.

Not sure what AX4S, 4F50N, 4R100, and 4F27E means? Anyways, I change mine every 30K from the dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are codes for the various automatic transmission that Ford uses.

Back