• Register Today It's free!

Is freeze 12 the same as r 12?

fordby4

Reaction score
City, State
Santa FE New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
My ac needs a little bit of freon to have a full charge and I was wondering if I could put freeze 12 in and mix it with r 12. The guy at the auto store said it would be fine but I would like to find out first. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes and no it is not exactaly the same thing but they are 100% compatable

R-12 is now an illegal substance.
Which is a shame. R-12 was cold as a whiches *it in a brass bra.

I hear little rumors every once in a while that R-134 actually isn't any better for the environment than R-12?

Cool thanks for your help. I am going to buy it and see what happens. :usa:

"I hear little rumors every once in a while that R-134 actually isn't any better for the environment than R-12?"

while r134a does not deplete the ozone it does cause a green house effect and global warming

Ironci isnt it ?
It causes global warming, yet it keeps you cool.

Well..... here is what Freeze 12 IS:

Freeze-12 = 20% HCFC-142b+80%HFC 134a (hmmm)

So for all intents and purposes you may as well add a can of 134. Wait! 134 and mineral oil don't work well together, and, and, and....

Who said this is a drop in addition to an R-12 system? They are mistaken.

Plus you now have a contaminated refrigerant, no one will work on it.

My advice? DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Convert the system to 134A. It's not that hard to do, and pretty inexpensive compared to what R12 costs (if you can get it).

How much does it cost to convert to 134A? A local shop several years ago refitted the O-Rings and charged my '91 back up with R-12 for about $260.

I'd suggest you review the converting to 134 thread in the Useful Threads forum.

Back