Is it just me or do all of you find.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it just me or do all of you find....

RonJrSVCMGR

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Gilford, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ford Explorer Limited
The Explorer Limited to be much more attractive than the Explorer Sport? Sure, I wish we could get the 3.5L Ecoboost in the Limited, but I like the looks of the limited with 20 inch polished wheels wayyyyyy better.

To each his own....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree 100%. Funny thing is that a black grille usually denotes a “stripper” model, (think the CrownVic police cars). Also, I don’t think you can get the “high tech” $$$ 302A option on the “Sport” either. The clincher is that non-chrome “Explorer” strip across the tailgate, it’s black also. IMHO that’s poor aesthetics. I just don’t see the “Sport” as being a step above the Limited - dollar wise, it sure is.

PS: I’m still waiting for my 2013 Limited (!)

Wonder if Ford will offer the eco-boost in the Limited somewhere in the future? Looks and power, sounds like a winner. I would buy one

Errr, I like the looks of the Sport and find the Limited not all that amazing for the price increase and the 20s look a bit "blingy" to me. Was disappointed there was no option for 18s or 19s on the Sport. Actually, what I would love is a Raptor. Now THERE'S a looker! :)

I dunno...

I do agree with the idea of putting the Eco-boost V6 as an option with the limited...and maybe, just possibly, the XLT.

Back in the day, it wasn't a "black" grille that denoted a stripper or "stripped" model -- it was a medium to darker grey grille... Like what you see on the 2011 to current Base Explorer or 1998 Ranger XL or F-Series XL. The black grille denotes, to me, "sport" as in 1991 Explorer Sport (the 2 door explorer with a black grille, black lower half and black front & rear bumpers).

As for the chrome strip across the liftgate, the Explorer Base shouldn't have it or the chrome strips in the grille.

BASE -- The grille on the Ex Base is a medium grey -- the strip across the back should be medium grey as well, denoting "base".

There should be an "appearance package" option for the base giving it the 18" alloy rims from the XLT as well as monochromatic grille (the chrome strips would be monochromatic too) as well as a monochromatic strip across the lift gate with no chrome trim on the lower side body cladding IMHO.​

XLT -- The grille on the Explorer XLT is a silver/silver grey -- To me, the strip across the back should be monochromatic (body color) with chrome trim on the lower side body cladding, denoting "XLT".

LIMITED -- The grille on the Explorer Limited is monochromatic with 2 chrome-like strips between the 3 major louvers -- the strip across the back is chrome, as it should be, denoting "Limited".

SPORT -- The grille on the Explorer Sport is ebony black -- the strip across the back is also black and there is no chrome on the lower side body cladding, denoting "Sport", as it should be, IMHO. The door handles, however, need to be either black or monochromatic -- not chrome -- it doesn't match the rest of the car.

The above would give more continuity to the model lineup. But, this is just me.

I just wish it were a 2 door like the old Sports.. :(

I like the looks of the sport. However, no 302A package ruins it for me. I guess I just wanted a Limited with an Ecoboost, hood lettering, and lighted sills. Maybe even a Lincoln Explorer with a second row fridge and third row mini-bar. Of course the mini-bar would remain locked out while not in park.

I like the looks of the sport. However, no 302A package ruins it for me. I guess I just wanted a Limited with an Ecoboost, hood lettering, and lighted sills. Maybe even a Lincoln Explorer with a second row fridge and third row mini-bar. Of course the mini-bar would remain locked out while not in park.

I plan to investigate adding hood lettering and lighted sills to my limited once sport parts become available...assuming the wire harness is an available part too

Hey "LeFurg", talk about well thought out !
Maybe YOU should work for the Ford design studio.
The only thing is that the "bean counters" probably wouldn't accept all those different trim pieces.

Also, I agree with "liratoad", about those polished 20" wheels. Way too "flowery" for me. That was the one option I made sure I didn't check off.

As said before.... To each his own....
Lots of good comments about how sharp Storm Trooper is.

IMO they are all ugly. Ford really dropped the bomb on the 2011 Explorer.

I do kinda of agree. rear tail lights are ugly as sin.

the new sport looks hot, just needs way better tail lights. front is nice. side too back not so much.

the explorer limited to be much more attractive than the explorer sport? Sure, i wish we could get the 3.5l ecoboost in the limited, but i like the looks of the limited with 20 inch polished wheels wayyyyyy better.

To each his own....

+1

Back