Is it normal for rpm to slightly raise when tranny shifts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it normal for rpm to slightly raise when tranny shifts?

clawhn1

Reaction score
City, State
Katy TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 v8 and 93 xlt
I got an automatic a4ld. 2wd 93. rebuilt tranny with shift kit .

every time it shifts i notice a slight quick jump in rpm . the rpm will slightly go up about 300 rpms with each shift, whether its from 1st -2nd or 2nd - 3rd..

so if im going 2300 rpm in 1st, it will on its own jump to 2600 in order to shift to 2nd gear...then it seems to fall back down in rpms to 2300 all while holding the gas pedal steady.

i didnt even notice this increase until i installed my flowmaster....its so loud,that each little increase in rpm i can hear it, therefore i started noticing this "up and down " effect with each gear shift.

is this normal? or did they botch it? is it the shift kit? im running 3:08 differential stock with normal stock tires, 225/70/15. nothing fancy.

i should also note, that the lower the rpms im going, the more up and down effect i notice.

for instance, if i just floor it from 0mph, if shifts so smoothly, i watch the rpm dial and there is no "up and down" but if Im going really slow and barely hitting gas and maintain a 1500-2000 rpm level , then you notice the "up and down" effect on rpm with each gear shift.

Back