Is it possible to change the portrait (premium screen) back to the landscape version? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to change the portrait (premium screen) back to the landscape version?

Roveer1

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently bought a 2021 Explorer ST with the larger portrait screen. What a stupid decision on Ford's part to produce such a thing. Cell phone mentality gone wrong.

Using it with Android Auto you end up with a terribly small image and basically duplicated information below (when in radio mode). They really didn't think this through.

I was wondering if it's possible to switch back to the more landscape type screen. From watching a video from an upgrade service, it's a fairly simple switch to go from the landscape to the portrait. Plastic Bezel's, the screen itself, a small wiring harness and some programming (could probably be done in forscan).

I'd at least like to consider this or do it just to see if I like the landscape screen better. I've nobody has any concrete info, I'll try contacting the company the sells the portrait upgrades and see what they can tell me. For all those folks who did this upgrade, they have the landscape bezels and screens left over from their upgrades. Probably find them on eBay.

Roveer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know of anyone that has tried this, but it certainly seems plausible. I agree with your take on it, though. I wish the premium infotainment screen was the 10" horizontal screen they put in the Aviator. That makes way more sense than a vertical. I haven't played with it yet, but it also seems dumb to me that you can multitask with the current arrangement. For instance why can't I have climate on the bottom and Carplay up top? Why is the reverse camera and the 360 camera side by side at the top? Why couldn't it be stacked to make the pictures larger? They really put as little effort in as possible to the Explorer.

Looked stupid from the moment I laid eyes on it. And once I started using it was apparent how ridiculous it is functionally. They thought, oh, everyone has a smart phone with that orientation let's just do that. Dumb idea. Widescreen landscape is the way to go. Yes it would be nice to have the 10" landscape. That real estate would be nice. From as far back as my 06 explorer I have always found some element that seems "unfinished" or poorly done. I don't quite know what they were thinking here except woke BS. So, I'm going to call BS on Ford.

Looked stupid from the moment I laid eyes on it. And once I started using it was apparent how ridiculous it is functionally. They thought, oh, everyone has a smart phone with that orientation let's just do that. Dumb idea. Widescreen landscape is the way to go. Yes it would be nice to have the 10" landscape. That real estate would be nice. From as far back as my 06 explorer I have always found some element that seems "unfinished" or poorly done. I don't quite know what they were thinking here except woke BS. So, I'm going to call BS on Ford.
All I suppose we can hope for is that there's a refresh soon. Doesn't look it will be for the 23 MY either which sucks because I've got to buy a new car next year when they take my fleet car away. I'd love to see the interior from the China market refreshed Explorer come to us, but with the chip shortage I have a feeling they'll skimp on it again for the refresh.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The verticle screen has had its supporters and distracters. I have the horizontal one in my Aviator and when in reverse, the camera image and the 360 view are side by side. Perhaps the same software was used. From what others have said, there does appear to be a lot of wasted space on the vertical screen. Perhaps it was designed with Sync 4 in mind.:dunno:

Peter

All I suppose we can hope for is that there's a refresh soon. Doesn't look it will be for the 23 MY either which sucks because I've got to buy a new car next year when they take my fleet car away. I'd love to see the interior from the China market refreshed Explorer come to us, but with the chip shortage I have a feeling they'll skimp on it again for the refresh.
The next refresh may be when Ford replaces SYNC with the Google Andriod system.

Peter

I sure would like to replace my 10.1 vertical with the landscape also. Amazing to me what a downgrade the larger screen is! Shame on Ford for not addressing this.

Looking at the difference of the two screens, it doesn't appear to be just a screen swap. The vents may also have to be changed. Not being a software person, I don't know if the placement on the screens is determined by the software or not. If so, that may also have to be addressed to get the proper displays.

1658072663714.png

1658072866568.png

Peter

Looking at the difference of the two screens, it doesn't appear to be just a screen swap. The vents may also have to be changed. Not being a software person, I don't know if the placement on the screens is determined by the software or not. If so, that may also have to be addressed to get the proper displays.

View attachment 431706
View attachment 431708

Peter

Yeah, you'd need to update the module configuration to get the display to show the correct UI for an 8" screen, splash screen, etc.

The portrait screen drives me nuts. Can’t stand it in my ST. What especially bothers me is how the reverse view is set up. I can’t fathom how this idea made it to production. In my perfect world mock up the rear camera would take up the whole top half, then the bottom half would be split down the middle with the sensors view on the left and the overhead on the right. Makes 10000% more sense.

DDDE94FE-0B82-4462-9D0C-D2B50F681790.jpeg

I was hoping Ford would push useful updates. Boy was I wrong about that!!!

At least give us the opportunity to select the default view. I always switch to the full width rear camera view when backing up.
Between selecting the rear view view and manually setting the parking brake it seems like I'm forever pressing buttons.

View attachment 431706
View attachment 431708

Peter
When you buy the kit to upgrade to the 10.1 vertical screen it comes with new vents and other pieces. It also requires a software update to make it work. here is the install video to go from the smaller 8" to the vertical 10.1"

I would imagine you would just reverse the steps, load the correct software and you should be good

At least it not like chevys that the backup camera stays on screen for a whole block

The portrait screen drives me nuts. Can’t stand it in my ST. What especially bothers me is how the reverse view is set up. I can’t fathom how this idea made it to production. In my perfect world mock up the rear camera would take up the whole top half, then the bottom half would be split down the middle with the sensors view on the left and the overhead on the right. Makes 10000% more sense.

View attachment 434031
Would love this as well..

Perhaps start a petition or smth 🤣

View attachment 431706
View attachment 431708

Peter
There is definitely a vent swap but if you find the right group they provide everything.
4648977629220__F-BDLDISP10-B5__2-1.jpg

There is definitely a vent swap but if you find the right group they provide everything.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for the post. I'm sure there may be others interested in making the change.

Peter

Back