Is it possible to change the shift points? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to change the shift points?

joeyd71

Reaction score
City, State
Oil City, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have a '97 Explorer XLT, and I want to change the shift points. Is it possible? And what does it involve doing?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What transmission you have?
The 5 speed automatic has an adaptive learning strategy - just drive it agressively and will "learn" that.

What transmission you have?
The 5 speed automatic has an adaptive learning strategy - just drive it agressively and will "learn" that.

I'll be damned. Was unaware of that. So technically if I disconnect the battery for a bit, reconnect, then drive the way I want it to, it should learn, eh?

What I want to do is to lower the shift points. For instance, instead of shifting into 2nd gear at 6000RPM, I'd want it to shift at 3500RPM. (Just made these numbers up).

Then you need to be very gentle with the foot on gas pedal. That and expect to drive like a granny :)

But that works only for the 5 speed auto one - at lest that's what the owner manual says.

Then you need to be very gentle with the foot on gas pedal. That and expect to drive like a granny :)

But that works only for the 5 speed auto one - at lest that's what the owner manual says.

I suppose I can drive like one for a little bit....
Should work for me, because the 5 speed auto is what I have.

97 didn't get the adaptive feature. You need a tune to change the shift points

I have thought about playing with the tps to see if that'll change the shift points (make it think I'm giving it less gas so it'll rev less and shift sooner) but I've yet to do that. Feel free to give it a try and let me know what happens

97 didn't get the adaptive feature. You need a tune to change the shift points

I have thought about playing with the tps to see if that'll change the shift points (make it think I'm giving it less gas so it'll rev less and shift sooner) but I've yet to do that. Feel free to give it a try and let me know what happens

97 didn't get the feature?
"The 5R55E, though mechanically similar to the 4-speed 4R55E, was a new breed of electronically controlled automatic transmission with an additional forward gear. It was the first 5-speed automatic transmission to be employed by an American automaker. The 5R55E featured more precise computer controls (necessary to accommodate the additional forward gear) and introduced adaptive shift control with a sophisticated friction-to-friction shift ability."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C3_transmission#5R55E

Ford introduced adaptive shifting even in 1994: AX4N four-speed transmission found in the top-of-line Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable.

ATF shift pressure

The PCM monitors the MAF sensor, engine speed and TPS to determine engine load and demand to control the shift points, gear choice and the engagement force. A PCM controlled variable solenoid in the 5R55E changes ATF pressure for a soft to hard shift range. I suspect that the real time PCM control of gear selection, shift point and engagement harshness makes up the bulk of the advertised "adaptive shift control" and there is very little (if any) learned capability.

Some of the biggest improvements from my custom tune were more positive shifts, and more desirable shift points throughout the range from light throttle to WOT. See Custom tune by Henson

I don't know about explorers getting the adaptive transmission but rangers didn't get them till 2001.
Anyways, mine doesn't ever seem to change (1997 xlt). No matter what it likes to cling on to gears for to long.
Prove me wrong with something better than wikipedia.
Back to the topic, just get a tune, because even if it does "adapt" obviously it isn't changing enough to do what you want.

Pg 165. Fuses, and none say anything about an adaptive transmission

Back