• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to do this ..#

sultanus

Reaction score
City, State
RIYADH
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012

First of all I would like to thank everyone here for all the info that I got from this forum

I have 2012 ford explorer ( base model )#
I'm thinking to add a screen which has NAV and other features to my car , #the only problem I met is the place for it in my explorer ..
So is there any way to do this if I change it to something like XLT model ..after requesting parts from Ford for AC .. So The second part of it becomes like the picture that I will post here .. And have a space for NAV or aftermarket screen ..#

I'm just thinking about this . But asking u depends on your experiment..#
Thank u in advance #

GIOnwwpK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try, but I'm not sure I would. There are probably a whole lot of other components other than just the radio and face plate that you'd need to install (sensors and the like) to get it to work correctly.

You are posting a pic of the controls that come with the MFT equipped Explorer, which has the in-dash display.

To change a base Explorer to the MFT version would likely be possible, but think about all the electronics you would have to change, as well as the trim pieces, etc.

The cost would be such that you would be better off to have purchased the MFT equipped vechicle to start with.

You are posting a pic of the controls that come with the MFT equipped Explorer, which has the in-dash display.

To change a base Explorer to the MFT version would likely be possible, but think about all the electronics you would have to change, as well as the trim pieces, etc.

The cost would be such that you would be better off to have purchased the MFT equipped vechicle to start with.

My guess is that the cost would be such that he'd be better off trading in his base model for a model with MFT.

My guess is that the cost would be such that he'd be better off trading in his base model for a model with MFT.

+1

I currently own a 2006 Legacy. When I bought it new the Legacy came with only one stereo option, a 6-disc changer, no aux input or mp3 player support. The following year my sister bought a Legacy and the stereo had an aux input. The stereos look the same besides the input. I ordered a new OEM stereo and attempted to install. Long story short, 3 full days later and about $1000 I had an Aux input. NOT WORTH IT for me, but once I started I couldn't stop.

The MFT system will be much more complex and I am sure will require dealer labor help.

I'd get someone to give you a list of parts--- and then go salvage yard shopping. There may be some overlap in parts with the Flex or some other vehicle too.

I definitely prefer the dash layout of the non-Limited (Sony) system. Buttons and knobs!

I'd get someone to give you a list of parts--- and then go salvage yard shopping. There may be some overlap in parts with the Flex or some other vehicle too.
The parts are likely the easy part. It's the software/computer interfaces that I would be most concerned about.

But then again, he's in Saudi Arabia! So parts are probably more difficult there, too.

Kenwood is going to release a screen to replace your setup with a touchscreen . I believe someone posted something about this awhile back.

Back