Is It Possible to Lock Out the Garage Door Opener Unless the Motor is Running? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is It Possible to Lock Out the Garage Door Opener Unless the Motor is Running?

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
First of all, my garage is so full of junk that I will never, ever park my car in there. I park in the driveway in front of the garage.

Today, I programmed the Homelink garage door opening on in my car but I noticed it can open the garage door even if the car is off. It seems to me that someone only has to break the car window to get into my garage, so I erased the programming. Anyone know of a tweak that would at least require you to have a key before the car can open the garage door? I am sure it can be done with a relay but that would always have to be powered up while driving and it seems to me that it could cause heat issues. I am hoping it can be done with configuration or Forscan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never seen a Forscan code for that, so I don't think that's a known option at least. Perhaps your dealer can tell you what's possible through the proper software - if there's an option for only allowing it to work when the car is on. If that's a no-go, perhaps get a garage remote that you take with you when you leave the car, or can lock/hide in the car in the glovebox or such. If none of that works, I would suggest cleaning your garage so that you can fit the car in there! ;)

Try an experiment and set your car alarm while sitting in the Ex. Press the Homelink button and see if the garage door opens. I assume when the car alarm is active, the Homelink shouldn't work.

If you don't park the Explorer in the garage anyway, why program the button? There must be another way to open the garage door when required. The buttons on the visor are always powered, just like the radio. The only method I can see to override that, barring a software solution, is to cut the wires to the visor and install a hidden switch.

Peter

Power is on the same circuit as the interior lighting. Only solution is a change of the 12V power source.

I suppose I can try this when I get home, but does it also work if the FOB is not with you in the car?

I suppose I can try this when I get home but does it also work if the FOB is not with you in the car?
If you are referring to the current set-up, then Yes. The visor buttons and radio can both the turned on at any time without the fob being in the area.

Peter

If you don't park the Explorer in the garage anyway, why program the button? There must be another way to open the garage door when required. The buttons on the visor are always powered, just like the radio. The only method I can see to override that, barring a software solution, is to cut the wires to the visor and install a hidden switch.

Peter
Just because there is no room in the garage for this car does not mean I don't use it. I keep all my tools there, it is also the entry into the basement and the quickest path into my house. I did some research since posting this question and it appears to be a very popular one. Some cars automatically turn off power to the garage door opener and some do not. One person posted that they successfully changed the constant power to switched power. There does not appear to be any way to do this without a wiring change though.

I can understand wanting to access to the garage but with a switched button you would only likely use it when coming home. Perhaps that is what you want. It would not be very convenient once you are home and wanted to get garage access. Please keep us updated as to your resolution. Thanks.

Peter

Two was to do this: inline relay or inline switch (hidden)

With the relay just have the power feeding to the homelink buttons switched by the relay with an ignition wire triggering the relay (only on when ignition is on).

You could also cut the wire leading to the visor with an inline switch and just switch it on when you need it. Problem is forgetting it being left turned on.

First world problems, huh?

I have a wireless keypad on the outside of my garage for just such occurrences. I can get into the garage any time I want whether a vehicle with homelink/garage door opener is present or not. Personally I don't like the homelink stuff and don't keep garage door openers in my vehicles.

If you want an easy solution, just buy a wireless keypad and throw it into your glovebox or center console. When you get home, just punch in your code and open the garage. If you have keypad entry on the vehicle, you can also access it and open the garage door anytime without your vehicle keys. Alternatively, there are devices that can be connected to an app on your phone to open and close the garage door - work great until you forget your phone...

I discovered an old garage door remote that I occasionally use. I happened to have the key to the door, and I could use it to trick the garage door opener into believing the door was still closed. Of course, the opener wouldn't allow me to open the door, but I could bypass it. The garage door is not secured by the opener but by a key. The door opener does not close it. The door opener instructs the door to open, and it does so. I erected one of the nicest gates last week, and it has a remote control. My advice is to acquire a remote and keep it with you at all times, rather than leaving it in the car.

Back