Is it possible to swap a 91 audiophile JBL system into a 1997? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to swap a 91 audiophile JBL system into a 1997?

ThatExplorerDude

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995&1997 explorer xlt
I have a 97 explorer with the base unit sound system in it. meaning no subwoofer in the back. I have a box from a 91 explorer with the 6.5" subwoofer, and JBL amplifier. Part Number F17F- 18C804-CA.

Is it possible that I can put this into my 1997 explorer? Im looking for the more powerful amplifier, and 6.5 subwoofer mostly. Eventually going to be upgraded to an 8" JBL that I have lying around. How hard would It be to make this work. Is it possible?

any help is appreciated.

If it helps I also have a spare 300 watt ADS 6 channel amp that runs a 8pin din cable, which comes with the 642xi crossover... so if the top does not work. Maybe I can make the bottom work.

Has Anyone done a swap like this and have pictures?

Thanks much!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible, yes.
Is it worth it, not really.

You can find the box out of a 98-2001 which is a factory 8 inch box. (I have an extra one, only question is shipping out there.)

The amp is easy to wire, or you can get an amp for about $100 now that can drive an 8 inch sub fairly well.

Alright. I was thinking about running me 300 watt ads system with crossover. I have a Aftermarket JBL sub that came with the 95 I own. with also some MAXXBASS controllers.. the ONLY problem with that set up was that I needed a Headunit with 3 RCA pairings... I have a perfectly fine 3 RCA out headunit currently, that I was planning to use with cross over...

Also it would be really easy to run an 8 in that box with some trimming of the hole...

Simply put.. I was wanting to add a sub in there...

Yes, you could carve out the OEM enclosure to accept an 8" sub. That's what I did.

Click on image for larger view...

th_106_0684.jpg

h_b0073da6-b23e-4afe-8a84-5e29abaf127a_zpsf7b48f02.jpg

Yes, you could carve out the OEM enclosure to accept an 8" sub. That's what I did.

th_106_0684.jpg

to be perfectly clear. I have 2 oem boxes.. one from a 91 explorer. and one that has been cut out to hold my 8" JBL sub.

Why exactly is it not "worth it" to put in the older factory box and sub even if it is the 6.5"? My only other alternative (besides manufacturing a new internal box) is to place an aftermarket box and sub floating in the trunk of the truck. Im almost certain this will get in my way at some point...

th_106_0684.jpg

how do you have that set up? Is that the factory amp box from the newer 2nd generation of ford?? wired to a sub amp running a sub????

how hard was that to rig... Beginner level audio installer here.. :)

Is it possible, yes.
Is it worth it, not really.

You can find the box out of a 98-2001 which is a factory 8 inch box. (I have an extra one, only question is shipping out there.)

The amp is easy to wire, or you can get an amp for about $100 now that can drive an 8 inch sub fairly well.

How much are you offering your box for????

Best way to wire it up the old box if i don't go for yours??

is the larger plug going into the 97 box a direct match-wiring wise- to the plug on top of the older JBL amplifier??

what is the poweroutputs for both boxes does anyone know??

how do you have that set up? Is that the factory amp box from the newer 2nd generation of ford?? wired to a sub amp running a sub????

how hard was that to rig... Beginner level audio installer here.. :)

That is an OEM enclosure from a 91-94 Explorer. Basically, it's an AudioControl LC2i that's tapped right after the OEM cabin speaker amp, patch cords to an Alpine amp under rear passenger seat, speaker wire to an 8" round Kicker Solobaric in the OEM enclosure. Usual power wire from battery was ran.

My 96 did not have an OEM sub to start with.

Why exactly is it not "worth it" to put in the older factory box and sub even if it is the 6.5"? My only other alternative (besides manufacturing a new internal box) is to place an aftermarket box and sub floating in the trunk of the truck. Im almost certain this will get in my way at some point...

I think [MENTION=186801]DjDom[/MENTION] was mostly referring to adding the OEM JBL sub amp as not worth it. It's common for it to fail. It's not overly powerful.

That is an OEM enclosure from a 91-94 Explorer. Basically, it's an AudioControl LC2i that's tapped right after the OEM cabin speaker amp, patch cords to an Alpine amp under rear passenger seat, speaker wire to an 8" round Kicker Solobaric in the OEM enclosure. Usual power wire from battery was ran.

HMMM... not 100% how that works.. did you have to splice into the factory harnesses running into the back? or are they coming out of your RCU???

I think [MENTION=186801]DjDom[/MENTION] was mostly referring to adding the OEM JBL sub amp as not worth it. It's common for it to fail. It's not overly powerful.

That would make sense... its still peaked at what 290 watts no??

the A/D/S PH15 I have is only rated at 300 watts.

Guess I should have read that before pming you... my apologies...

The box is just the enclosure. Honestly, if you want it, let me rip it out and just pay for shipping. It's just sitting there in the trunk at this point. Lol.

The factory amp is not worth hooking up, you should use an aftermarket one. Factory has no adjustments or anything on it.

The box is just the enclosure. Honestly, if you want it, let me rip it out and just pay for shipping. It's just sitting there in the trunk at this point. Lol.

The factory amp is not worth hooking up, you should use an aftermarket one. Factory has no adjustments or anything on it.

Its alright.. I think I have a game plan set up :)... I am going to run my A/D/S PH15 AND 642IX CROSSOVER :)

So a bit of an Update for you guys...

I have A 8 Pin Din on its way from ebay to run the PH15 to my 642IX.

I also have a wiring harness for my Clarion cz101 on its way from ebay as well.. should see those in the next few days...

Truck is currently stripped at the moment.

soon after I should be installing.... hoping to get it in before the weekend.. Im not 100% sure though :)

So finally Got my 8 pin din cable and my harness for my clarion.. Its already in...

I can post pictures up here directly unfortunately..... so will have to figure out another way to post the :)

Back