Is it possible to swap V6 to V8??

GridIron26

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys,

I got my '97 Explorer xlt from my aunt on my graduation day.. I love it, but I am not exactly in love with my V6 4.0 engine, it's not powerful and slow.. I even tried to race with Grand Cherokee with V8 (my best friend's) and he whupped my ass.. :rolleyes: So I'm wondering if it's possible to buy new V8 engine and put it in my 97? Thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is. :cool:

GridIron26 said:
Hey guys,
I'm wondering if it's possible to buy new V8 engine and put it in my 97? Thanks..

It's possible to convert your V6 to V8, but it would be easier to just sell your V6 and buy a V8.

-Tim

I have a 99 4.0 SOHC sport and I get comments on how quick it is for a v6 SUV. SOHC puts out about the same HP as the 5.0. It would be cheaper to mod then swap I would think....now if you have the OHV I cant help there

GridIron26 said:
Hey guys,

I got my '97 Explorer xlt from my aunt on my graduation day.. I love it, but I am not exactly in love with my V6 4.0 engine, it's not powerful and slow.. I even tried to race with Grand Cherokee with V8 (my best friend's) and he whupped my ass.. :rolleyes: So I'm wondering if it's possible to buy new V8 engine and put it in my 97? Thanks..

To swap out a v6 to a v8, you need to swap motor, tranny, transfer case if your 4wd, and the pcm and other computers in the truck.

this conversion may not be as much $$$ as you think, for example I purchased a fully loaded 98 Merc Moutaineer earlier this year that had been wrecked in the front.
Truck had 90K miles on it and was in awesome shape mechanically.
I paid under $2K to tow it to my house.

You could have parked this truck next to any 95-01 Explorer, regardless of engine, and swapped everything you need to make it V8 in one shot.
It would have required a new radiator, $250 or so. Fluids and you are now a V8.

Alot of wrenching, alot of hours, end result a relatively low mileage V8 drivetrain conversion for about $2800-3000 or so.

Still alot of $$$ I mean its up near blue book for your current V6 likely, and there is always unexpected things that come up when doing a conversion like this that can cost time and $$$. But if the truck is worth it to you to keep and you really really really want a V8 this is the easiest way.

Finding the donor is another issue.....

As said earlier 90% of the time its a better idea to work with what you have got, or just sesll and buy a v8. The stock V8 in a 4 door ex is not a night and day improvement over the SOHC and not as much more torque as you would think then the OHV, BUT the trans is much stronger/more reliable and the 5.0L has alot of potential for mods.

Keep in mind:
trucks 98+ have PATS, security system makes the converison more difficult
5.0L Explorers only came in AWD and 2wd, no 4x4.
5.0L Explorers only came with automatic transmission

I know people do it but I really don't understand why. Sell it and buy one with the V8 already installed. A whole lot less work even if the cost is roughly the same.

well lets say you already did custom paint, lift, suspension, interior, stereo, alarm, wheels tires, brakes, gears, etc.....and you are the type of guy who doesnt mind wrenching, has the tools and know how.
You see?

its called passing the point of no return

Oh Yeah

GridIron26 said:
Hey guys,

Yeah but its alot of work. Any tips on 2wd automatic to 4wd 5-speed conversions?

here's a tip for all types of conversions:

Get all the parts you need from ONE donor and get everything all at once.

Actually a gen II v6 to V8 conversion would be less work then what you just mentioned, the 96-01 5.0L explorer drivetrain will bolt into any 95-01 explorer, BOLT IN.

there are MANY threads on this forum about automatic to 5 speed conversions for 91-94 explorer's like you just mentioned. A long time ago I converted my BII from 5 speed to auto, which is pretty much backwards from what everyone else does.

If you're going to do the whole v6 to v8 swap I would just do a supercharger. Get a C&M adapter and Eaton M90 charger and ur supercharged under $2k

410Fortune said:
well lets say you already did custom paint, lift, suspension, interior, stereo, alarm, wheels tires, brakes, gears, etc.....and you are the type of guy who doesnt mind wrenching, has the tools and know how.
You see?

its called passing the point of no return

I guess if that were the case I'd be kicking myself for doing all that work and not having the foresight to know that I coulda had a V8!

And is that the case here?

I am not kicking myself, I went 2.9L to 4.0L and 5 speed, to 4.0L and auto to another auto to finally 5.0L V8. I wouldnt trade that learning experience for the world.

Sometimes a truck evolves over time, doesnt mean you had to get it right the first time or had the $$$ to do it all at once or the foresight

410Fortune said:
I am not kicking myself, I went 2.9L to 4.0L and 5 speed, to 4.0L and auto to another auto to finally 5.0L V8. I wouldnt trade that learning experience for the world.
Sometimes a truck evolves over time, doesnt mean you had to get it right the first time or had the $$$ to do it all at once or the foresight

There are some things that money can't buy... ;) :thumbsup:

not turbo said:
There are some things that money can't buy... ;) :thumbsup:

It's true.. I learned alot when I rebuilt my 89 Corvette Engine and Auto Tranny. It was a good experience.. But after doing it once, I'll let the mechanic do it the next time. Just too much time for those things. I rather drive or relax. But I don't mind doing the small less than 1day repair projects. But if it takes more than a day.. Ouch.

-Tim

You see I will take on multi year projects, its my hobby, I have not had a car payment in over 12 years and I dont pay mechanics to do anything, instead I use that $$$ for more tools and upgrades. But thats just me, I love this stuff!

ide like to know if i followed polution rules can i use n older v8 motor and run straight gas on it???does an fmx transmission fit it?or do i have to go with a c4 or c5?

It would be easier to just get a v8 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

true but im still paying the ****ter off at the moment and owe a lot more then that and because i do owe its under finance hold...so a quick transfer would be good also does the v8 explorer have a plastic manifold?

Back