• Register Today It's free!

is it SOHC?

onetwo

Reaction score
City, State
Hawkeyes
Year, Model & Trim Level
TBD
Hello all I just registered to this site I have my eye on a 97 explorer. I have not gone to see it yet and would like to know how i tell if it is the SOHC or OHV V6 ( going to see it in a bit) asking price is 1900 with 150,000 miles. looks clean from pics. I did a search for SOHC and was not successfull.

Also I looked at a 99 mountaineer all wheel drive 120,000 with the 5.0 v8 and body damage (but still driveable ) asking 2000 for it. I'm wanting a tow vehicle up to about 3,500lb that will double as daily driver. Thank you for any help you can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Open the hood and look at the engine cover. It will say SOHC on it.
Look at the VIN code, "E" is SOHC motor.

Thanks!

If it's not the SOHC do you think its still worth getting? I just bought boat it's about 2500 lbs or so.

As an owner of an X with the OHV, I would have to say the weak point for towing is the bumper hitch.

I've towed the largest U-Haul trailer (back when they still rented to Explorer owners) chuck full of stuff over the Colorado Rockies and could keep at least 45 mph on the steepest slopes. I've towed quite a bit with it.

When I was crawling underneath the other day to check the rear brake pads, I noticed that my rear bumper is bowed ever so slightly outwards and the connection points are slightly bent.

If you want to tow that much weight, I'd get an aftermarket receiver hitch. The engine should handle it fine as long as your not pulling steep grades all of the time.

Back